Guess the Fault

Positive battery lead rubbing on a brake pipe, then earths through pipe, melting brake pipe and wire?

I drove a seventies Datsun down a farmtrack track once and hit a bump that made the (rotten) inner wing lean towards the engine so much that the alternator fan wore a hole in the side of the battery spraying acid everywhere,they were the days!

Steve

Reply to
smarshall

OK here's the answer:

The long bar that holds the bonnet up had the clip that holds it in place, broken. The other end (hinge end) was made of plastic or nylon, hence and insulator. This bar had move 90 degrees pointing to the bulkhead. At this point on the bulkhead was a 4 way junction of brake pipes. Yes, one part of the bar had touched the battery +ve and welded a hole on the brake junction. The resulting short cut the engine, cloud of smoke from the hot brake fluid, and no brakes!

While this has been a fun quiz, bit dangerous, and I thnk a design fault. Anyone else had anything like this?

Cheers

Rodders

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Hia Steve, you were on the right track! See my answer on the previous Guess the fault. You experince with the datsun sounds unusual and dangerious!

Cheers

Rodders

Positive battery lead rubbing on a brake pipe, then earths through pipe, melting brake pipe and wire?

I drove a seventies Datsun down a farmtrack track once and hit a bump that made the (rotten) inner wing lean towards the engine so much that the alternator fan wore a hole in the side of the battery spraying acid everywhere,they were the days!

Steve

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Surely a servicing fault - the clip should have been fixed by whoever broke it. And please, for the love of god, stop top posting.

Reply to
Doki

Whats top posting Dorki? and there is no need to be offensive

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Yep. There are loads of faults that have the potential to be lethal on a car. That's why we have MOTs and servicing. Here's a few:

Leaking wheel cylinders - they tend to leak fairly regularly IME, and they can and do fail completely, quickly, and you lose brake fluid. Leaking clutch slave cylinders - fairly common on Kas, and probably Fiestas too as they share running gear. Again, means a loss of brake fluid. Wheel hub nuts being refitted without a split pin or the nut being notched with a hammer and chisel.

An example of a design fault would be that the brake lines were often chafed against something (say on full steering lock), or running straight past the exhaust manifold, ensuring the fluid was always roasting. A fault that occurs because somebody breaks something and doesn't repair it is down a) the bloke who broke it and b) the bloke who didn't fix it.

Reply to
Doki

If you're as bad at servicing cars as you are posting correctly, I can see why it happened.

And it is impossible to design a car that won't develop potentially lethal faults if it is not correctly serviced.

Reply to
David Taylor

The bonnet stay locating clip was broken,stay moved to bulkhead touching 4 way junction for brake pipes,other end of bar touched battey+ve and welded a hole in the brake pipe,engine cut out,smoke from hot brake fluid and loss of brakes.. I claim my £10. :-) Steve

Reply to
Steev

That was an abject lesson. Whatever the part the car was originally equipped with has a function to play, leaving that out without seriously thinking of its possible consequences is really leaping into the dark: there should be in place the car battery +ve terminal plastic 'boot'!

Reply to
Lin Chung

Top posting is what you're doing, ie putting the reply at the top.

See my reply in this message? See the way it's below what you've written? That's because it reads more like a sensible conversation.

See

And, unlike you with your "comedy" misspelling, Doki wasn't being offensive. His second post illustrated that very well.

I feel you owe him an apology. You started the offensive behaviour, it's up to you to do so.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Reply to
Pat Crouch

You are still top posting.

Put your reply BELOW quoted material. And trim the irrelevant bits of the quoted material.

Reply to
David Taylor

You started it, and you are continuing to be abusive whilst claiming not to be. Do f*ck off.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes, you did. I cannot believe that you wrote 'Dorki' without trying to be rude. If it was a mistake or attempted comedy, then why not apologise?

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Dorki was the name he chose to come on here! or am I mistaken? Am I loosing the plot here or what?

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Oh good, a blind, offensive, top poster.

(Or yet another poor troll)

Just what the group needs.

Reply to
David Taylor

A 'design fault' will be replicated on many other samples of the product. A single instance of a fault could be caused by any number of things - damage and poor maintenance for example.

Top posters usually are...

...as are people who claim any qualifications on newsgroups.

One can only go on appearances.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)