hole in the road

Well point 2 is that i bought the car the day before, they were fine as i checked and that the hole was about half a mile from home and next morning i noticed the tyre was flat. once i see about the wheel and tyre later today i am getting the other bits checked.

i suffer from a bad back, so avoid pot holes like the plague and can usualy spot them well in advance, even speed bumbs i have to almost come to a crawl.

Reply to
Jules

That may simply be because you hit it "square on" rather than snagging the sides of the holes on the tyre walls :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Assuming you were not well onto the wrong side of the road, when the car ran into the ditch (Okay, pothole), what got caught on the edge of the ditch would be the *outside* rim of the wheel. The buckle is but on the wrong side. This oddity is hard to explain away.

Now that you revealed the car changed hand only on the day before, the whole perspective is changed! I would make a gentle inquiry into whether there had ever been any accident damage. Perhaps from its previous owner or the garage that sold you the car (It's a long shot, I know!)? I'll be looking for any scratch mark, dent or evidence of damage repair here.

Reply to
Lin Chung

For fear of being a Microsoft sheep, I'd simply recommend Microsoft Photo Editor - not sure if it comes bundled with Windows or just with MS Office - I think it's just Office as it's in the MS Office Tools folder, but I had a feeling it's an option on the Windows install as well.

Anyway, it's a fairly light (in terms of resources) program, and does the resizing job nicely, and automatically keeps the proportion when resizing unless you say otherwise.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And how long ago before this event was that? Always best to regularly check tyre pressures (at least every few days), even if it's a quick glance/feel with your thumb if you're short on time. Won't take more than 20-30 seconds for the whole car.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

no the wheel was fine, i did over 200 miles in the 36 or so hours before. the pot hole was close to my home

Reply to
Jules

got the car the day before, all was well, did 200+ miles, no problems, hit the pothole jsut under a mile from home. bent enough to allow air to escape slow

Reply to
Jules

it must have been one hell of a bang to damage your rim like the picture shows , that looks more like a kerb impact , it doesnt look that new either , but that may just be the picture

Reply to
Steve Robinson

You don't have Paint?!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Contact the local council and don't let up. They will try to wiggle out (my tried to claim they didn't have to pay as they knew about it!) but persist and you can succeed.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Any chance it was damaged/punctured when you got it, but the owner pumped it up just before you collected it? Did you check the tyres again before you hit the pothole?

After 200 miles it might have got a bit flat, resulting in the pothole causing more damage than it should. Mind you, I hit a pothole and bent a wheel too, so I'm not saying it's impossible.

Reply to
David Taylor

thanks, i called in at a tyre/wheel place, he showed me a piled of bent alloy wheels, always the inside he says, as the outside has the spokes and none at the rear. i even saw a triangle alloy!!!

Reply to
Jules

10 minutes before i hit the pothole i had jsut been to a mates house to drop him off, and was back on my way home, his family were walking around admiring the car so i know the tyre pressures were fine.

been to a alloy wheel place, he said its always the inside that gets dented cos of no spokes as the outside has, i have had it hammerd out as best as possible as im running a thin emergancy slim tyre.

Reply to
Jules

Hah.....thanks Jules. I'm learning everyday.

Reply to
Lin Chung

The legal standpoint of councils (have tried to claim from two for exactly this) is that if they werent warned of the hole they cant be held responsible for not filling it. Therefore if you are the first person to try to claim you wont win. I am currently having to look for a new set of alloys because two of mine are knackered and cant be replaced :(

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Alloy repair centres can repair slight flatspots with a press roller system but not splits/serious bends. And it is normally the back but i have just done the front RIGHT next to a spoke, which now leaks air. Rear ones can be straightened usually, fronts are screwed (no room for roller).

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Are you sure it was *that* pothole and not, say, one of the others with faded yellow paint round them???

Reply to
PC Paul

I agree. Usually there's also tyre marks when you have big hit like that. The pot hole doesn't look sharp enough. Otherwise you'd be bending rims every road hump or small curb you went over. My ex hit a curb pretty much head on at about 50mph and it did damage like that.

Reply to
adder1969

Well as it was within 2 metres of the other ones marked, they would have known and seen the others, some were marked and some not, but it has been like this for a long time as i asked the guy who lives outside as i wanted to borrow a tape measure.

Reply to
Jules

Well of course i could be wrong which one it is, i just presumed it was the biggest one, but i will take another look........................

Reply to
Jules