Inside edge of tyre shredded !!!!

And you'd be going round in circles all the time...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're really not cut out for this car maintenance lark are you Conor.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Conor wrote on Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:36:09 -0000:

How does the car know which wheel is pointing the right way (and thus which direction to go in)?

It can't. It just picks the "average" direction of the two wheels, and they both scrub equally. With the left wheel straight and the right wheel toeing out, the car will be steering slightly to the right.

Reply to
David Taylor

What about if one front wheel and both back wheels are facing straight forward but the one wheel is slightly pointing out.

Would'nt the three other wheels drag the other front wheel?

Reply to
paulfoel

If both back wheels were pointing straight you would have a zero thrustline ie no rear steer.

Graham

Also the drop links.

I had a worn drop link that caused minor scrubbing on the inside of one tyre only.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Enough to have made a living out of it in the past. Do you honerstly think I give a f*ck what you think?

Reply to
Conor

Come and look at my Capri..one tyre wearing on the inside, the other OK.

Reply to
Conor

Come and look at my Capri..one tyre wearing on the inside, the other OK.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's not saying very much, though, is it?

Reply to
Adrian

Camber out of spec on that side, too much negative.

Graham

If that's what your Capri looks like, I'd suggest that the accusation of you not being cut out for car maintenance is a fair cop.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

If it was so bad, it wouldn't have gone straight through an MOT less than 2 months ago.

Fuck all wrong with it apart from standard rust that you get on a 20 year old Capri. All the panels are sat here to do it. I can jump in it and drive it anywhere I want without any worries.

Reply to
Conor

Nothing wrong with the camber.

Reply to
Conor

Well if the camber is fine and you have one tyre wearing even and the other wearing on the inside edge we MUST be talking about the REAR wheels because its impossible for tracking (on the front wheels of a front wheel steer) to just wear off one front tyre on the inside edge.

The only other possibility is you buy totally crap tyres that wear uneven or perhaps the wheel is rubbing against a mud flap or chassis leg when turning corners and you haven't noticed..............

Graham

Blithering idiot..

Reply to
Conor

Graham

Or there is a rear tyre busy wearing an edge as well.....

Reply to
Chris Street

Exactly, it is possible for incorrect rear track (one wheel straight, one toeing in/out) just to wear off one tyre edge because they are fixed and cannot self centre like the fronts. In this scenario the thrust line will not be central and the rear wheels will cause the vehicle to "rear steer" left or right, This is compensated with the driver always having to hold the steering wheel firmly to keep driving in a straight line. If he lets go of the wheel the car drifts off to one side.

This is why a proper 4 wheel align is preferable to a simple tracking job.

Graham

Not quite what I meant. I've seen a car wear one edge only on a front wheel. The opposing *rear* wheel was also wearing the other way so the two offcentre forces cancelled. Caused by a screwup in a four wheel alignment - car drove perfectly in a straight line and held it but certainly felt odd in a corner.

Reply to
Chris Street