Insurance Repair Policy

My daughter's Mazda MX5 has had a scrape in a car park. Unusually the OP has owned up and left details. The damage is a soft dent above the rear wheel arch caused by the bumper of a 4x4.

My daughter thinks that the panel will be replaced because that is the 'policy' of the insurers to fit new parts. I feel the repair would be quite invasive and to used a Dentmaster / Dent Wizard type of approach would cause less 'trauma' to the car.

Any views? There are some scratches that would require some spraying.

John

Reply to
john

What either of you feel is irrelevant.

If you're going to involve the insurance companies, whatever they say goes. Does your daughter like telling you, "I told you so" just in case they replace the panel. Chances are that the panel will be repaired... but perhaps not by Dentmaster. Really, it doesn't matter how it's fixed, just that it is fixed. :)

First off, your daughter needs to inform her insurance company that the car was damaged by somebody else. Then you need to look in to getting it fixed. Communicating with the other driver is useful. He or she may want you to use their insurance or may not want this. Either way, use a professional place (the facilities available at a Mazda dealership is arguably warranty-proof although it shouldn't make much difference).

Reply to
DervMan

john ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ring the other person. Talk to them. Ring DentMaster or similar. Talk to them. Get them to come and look at the car.

Given that the other person left their details, they are obviously a straight-up person. Repay their honesty.

If this goes through insurance, it's going to cost them their excess plus their no-claims. DentMaster will probably charge a hundred quid or similar, if it's doable by them.

I know that if *I* had done it by accident, I'd prefer to pay a hundred quid cash than anything up to a grand over the next few years - and I'd prefer a local guy who's working hard to build up a business (albeit a franchise) to get that money than the insurance company.

You'll also find that the other person will be more likely to leave their name and number next time if they come away with their faith in human nature backed up by being dealt with in a civilised "Shit happens, let's see how we can sort this as easily as possible" manner rather than just getting a phone call from the insurance.

Now add in that if it IS DM-able, you'll be without the car for an hour or two - vs a courtesy car for a few days if it goes to insurance.

It really is a no-brainer.

Reply to
Adrian

If dentmaster can do it then it's a lot less grief.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Get an estimate for repair. Dentmaster, whatever. Then ask the other party if he wants to pay himself or deal through the insurance Co's. If he pays, fair enough. You can still inform your insurance Co as a formality, telling them you're not making a claim, and will get it repaired yourself. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G