Is it only Fiat who make vital moving parts of the car out of plastic?

Is it only Fiat who make vital moving parts of the car out of plastic?

In this particular case, it's the clutch linkage. Does anyone know what's involved in changing the clutch linkage on a 2002 reg Fiat Punto? (1.2 8v) I'm sorely tempted to write the pile of shit off and send it to the scrappies.

Reply to
GB

Short answer, no.

Ford for example make engines with a cam chain (good engineering). Then make the chain tensioner out of cheap plastic. Many (most?) inlet manifolds are plastic.

It's used wherever a bean counter thinks they can shave off a buck.

Reply to
Steve Firth
[...]

And Toyota have been making the cam chain sprockets out of plastic for a number of years, as my Brother discovered when his shattered...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Anyone remember the Mk3 and Mk4 Escort problems with stripping teeth on clutch pedals?

Can't remember if it was because a plastic ratchet was used, of if it was made of particularly crap monkey metal.

Reply to
SteveH

both bits were plastic, and it was a real pain to change the assembly.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes, I can remember lying upside down with my head in the footwell fixing mine!

Reply to
timothy.marlow

Yup, did my bothers.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Fiesta has a clutch pedal issue. It's not held on by anything. Some people are fine but others seem able to just slide the pedal off at 1st go. Current theory is it's the bandy legged.

Mate has a cable tie on his. Seems it's the Ford approved fix.

Also if pedal moves sideways a bit (or too often) but doesn't fall off the push rod breaks it's clip, drops out the clutch cylinder and clutch stops working anyway.

Reply to
Peter Hill
[...]

Plastic.

At least they eventually did the decent thing, and changed to a manual adjuster!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

after doing several I decided it was best to start by removing the driver's seat !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

BUT: they used the same plastic quadrant and pushed against it on the weakest side, so they broke completely.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Mine didn't; Essex must have some heavy-footed drivers ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

oddly enough the last one I remember changing DID have a great big lardy driver :)

Reply to
Mrcheerful