L - Ring Gasket - What is it?

Hi

I am currently rebuilding the cylinder head for the corsa 1.7D (Isuzu Engine)

My Engineering Co (tried and trusted) tell me that the head set is £45 Excluding head gasket - Awch

The Headgasket itself is for a pukka OEM spec jobbie is "about £70 addie" - HOW MUCH!!!!!

"it's because it is an I - Ring Gasket"

"O"

Call it a daft question but I was feeling a bit gutted at the time and not thinking right, but what the hell is a I - Ring Gasket?

He also tells me that they do cheaper versions at £30-£40 "people do use them, but then again people use anything"

Any opinions/experiences on the cheaper gaskets...

I am generally of the mind that if it is worth doing, it is worth doing well, but £70 for a 4-pot gasket?

Hmmmm id be happy £70 for the headset incl gasket..

Geez you should see the vale spring compressors I have been lent...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

what the hell is a I - Ring Gasket?

Maybe 'I' shape in cross section, (like a girder) around the combustion chamber, so it will appear like a reinforcing ring. Sounds a good idea on a diesel engine with compression ratios of over 20:1. Know anyone in the trade who can get one for you? Most bits are less than a third of the price charged to the unknowing. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I think you might mean "Elring" - the manufacturer?

Reply to
Chris Bolus