Learners allowed on motorways from 2018

Quite, you simply don't know who's the driver. It could be a gentleman or could could be a nutcase. Hence I never indicate or signals beyound normal traffic rules.

Reply to
johannes

Yeah, whilst 7 seconds doesn't sound like a lot it can often be long enough to actually do stuff like that. It's a 'fluid' type thing.

Agreed ... and that's the point isn't it. You often see someone pulling out from say lane one because of a lorry doing 50 mph (even though there is 'a gap' of sorts) and into lane two where everyone is doing nearer 65. This means people in lane two either have to slow ... or if it's one of those 'a bit late things', try to get out into lane

3 that could already be busy or filled with cars doing 70+.

There has been many_a_time where I have abandoned the idea of pulling back out to overtake, simply because the sheer weight of traffic coming up behind me in all lanes was likely to cause repercussions.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This was probably a case where I was in another world and thought I could catch up with another car in lane 1 without affecting anyone else but stayed in the middle lane without further thought.

Likewise.

That does seem the case.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I recall a traffic cops program some time ago where they stopped a young lad rigidly observing the overtaking and pulling in.

They essentially told him, you shouldn't go back into lane 1 if you think you will need to overtake again within 10 seconds, and to ensure as far as possible you don't stay out for more that 20 seconds.

Its now a rule I try to observe.

Reply to
Fredxxx
[...]

That's common practice in France and The Netherlands also.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

5 seconds can be long enough to let a tail-gating Sprinter past and then move back out before the next driver starts to accelerate.
Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Yup, that's the sort of thing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think the actual time should be (*is* IRTW) flexible as what is more important is that it works and fits in with the surrounding traffic etc.

I think what is key is staying alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.

The level of alertness should range from 'sufficient to respond to an event' (like a blowout) up to 'I need to be very alert here because I don't like the look of that lorry' or road surface etc.

Whilst you can't predict them all, I think there is a sort of body language (road positioning, inappropriate speed or manoeuvring etc) that often give clues to future events (if you are alert / observant enough to spot them).

I often spot soft tyres, partly open doors, bad dampers and missing lights and will try to inform the driver if I get the opportunity. As long as you don't make it sound aggressive, most people appear grateful and you just hope they understand the consequences enough to realise they need to do something about it.

However, there are times you might not bother, partly because you know you are likely to not be understood or it could be taken the wrong way and partly you feel they deserve what's coming to them.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And to do that you'd spend a lot of time on the A11 and A14, which are not much different to the northern M11, all being two-lanes-per-direction dual carriageways (indeed the A14 is three in some places).

There's no hard shoulder on the dualled A roads and the junctions can be a bit more ropey - generally it's more challenging to drive on one than a motorway, especially when you get junctions like this:

Obviously the M25 past Heathrow (say) is a somewhat different animal, but not everyone is able to go near a road like that.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

At busy times, often the cars behind are not pulling in because they are gaining on the car in the lane to the left and know that the lane behind them is full. If they pull in, the gap wil close and when they catch up to the slower vehicle, they will be totally unable to pull out again.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There is a great back-road in Ballyshannon in the Republic of Ireland, the first road marking reads "SLOW" and next reads "SLOWER".

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I often do that, but have also been known to pull out to lane 3, overtake, pull right back to lane 1 , slow, let them pass me, then pull back out to 3, pass them, back to 1 and go :)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

;-)

How often does the point get across would you say though (if ever)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I once spent some time trying to attract the attention of a lorry driver on the M6. I flashed my lights from behind, I pulled in front and put my hazards on, both repeatedly. I was unable to give him any hand signals as I was in my kit-car, with the hood on, in heavy rain and had no opening windows. After at least 5 minutes of this, he eventually stopped and I pointed out the snapped cable and torn curtain on his trailer that he'd been dropping rolls of carpet out of!

I often also jump out of my car at traffic lights to let someone know that one or more brake lights aren't working.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I found one recently, we were cruising round the M25 when Mrs Hawknose said she could smell something burning, within moments I spotted a car in lane 1 with smoke coming from the offside front tyre, the young lad (with several passengers) appeared to be completely unaware, I pulled alongside (at a wide berth) and hooted to get the driver's attention and my wife did some animated pointing, they immediately took the hint and pulled over, but all the while I was ensuring that I (we) had somewhere to go if that tyre had blown. I like to think that we saved a nasty situation/crash. But of course we will never know for sure.

Reply to
MrCheerful

If possible I tell people about missing brake lights, but these days opportunities seem to be less than they were twenty or so years ago.

Reply to
MrCheerful

It doesn't, I gave up that nonsense many years ago. Keep quiet and carry on, I say. If questioned about undertaking: Say that you 'thought they were going to turn right'. My wife assures me that won't work on a motorway, but I think the average traffic cop would understand.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The things you learn on NGs, that there are countries who bar learning drivers from learning the very thing that they are supposed to be learning.

Reply to
FMurtz

Is all your learning done only with instructors, here a small portion is with paid instructors the majority is with licensed family members beside them after initial proper instruction then they drive anywhere and everywhere, family outings, down to shops etc.

Reply to
FMurtz

But you can use the same argument for cars driving in the middle lane, even more so.

Reply to
johannes