Mondeo hesitates

Mondeo Zetec 1.8i (1999). Hesitates when moving off. If I give it very

*slight* bit of accelerator and it revs itself and zooms off. Have to come right off gas and sometimes touch brakes. Difficult to control speed when trying to drive at constant speed. The slightest extra accelerator and it tries to zoom. At other times I may want to accelerate quickly and hesitates for a good few seconds before it zooms off. Had new cat fittted recently as lost all power and new cat cured this. Wondering if its worth changing plugs/leads/coil pack.

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

Has it got a decent service history or, at best, a long string of "winter check/ service and MOT for £50" types?

Reply to
Conor

Throttle position sensor is knackered.

Reply to
Davey

which can be checked by using a meter across terminals two and three, you should see a smooth change from 1500 ohms to 3200 ohms as it goes from fully open to shut positions

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks I'll check that over weekend. Noticed when stationary and reving to 3000rpm the revs sometimes stay high for a second or two. Noit dropping instantly as I would expect.

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

that is probably normal, a strategy that reduces emissions

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I just replace the TPI on my old mondy. I went to a breakers and found three of them. First one worked straight off.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Certainly one that Ford applies to this engine (Focus experience). If you have the aircon on, it is more pronounced.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Revving up a bit as the idle control valve kicks in is normal, but 3000rpm is a bit much.

The OP is describing symptoms which I have experienced in my 2000 Focus zetec. The only cure was to swap out the TPS.

Reply to
Davey