MOT weirdness

The old golf (mk4 01) was MOT'd today and received an advisorie stating the outer track rod end cover is "split/missing" which was odd as neither side had an outter cover, no mk4 golfs does (theres about 5 in the family and friends). Am I mistaking something here. There is an inner one near the other end of the road, which is in perfect condition as I just did the rod and ends last summer. Had a good inspection of the that one and was fine. Checked the other one aswell whilst the trolley jack and axles stands were out all fine. Beats the heck out of me what why he listed that. I popped back in he said whatever he listed as faults were what he saw (bit of a prick to be fair in his attitude in talking for some reason) .. said hes a qualified MOT tester and I'm not and was like hold on bud just asking whats up here.

Also list slight movement in the struts both sides, there is a little bit of play but not enough to make me get a new set tbh. I'll see how it goes next MOT and only change if its a problem or it gets worse. No doubt I'll get round to it in the summer as it will be niggling in my head to do it before next MOT.

Not impressed with this place though, used them for over 10 years now so bit odd this new guys a little bit of a idiot or lacks people skills perhaps.

Reply to
Tim

afaik every track rod end on every car has a cover, a little round rubber thing that the ball pin sticks through. they used to be available as spares, but probably not easy nowadays, but here is a site with every one you could think of and their pictures.:

Mrcheerful

?Yes, he is referring to the rubber boot as fitted on most/all track rod ends to keep dust/dirt out of the moving bits.

-
Reply to
Mark
[...]

He might be thought an idiot if he had failed it for something trivial; as it was, it seems like he used good judgement.

AFAIK, people skills are not a requirement for a tester's licence.

Most testers will list a few advisories during each day. VOSA use "trap" cars, and sometimes re-examine punters vehicles. If the tester has missed something significant, the paperwork for all recent tests will be checked. If there were no advisories, it would ring alarm bells.

It's entirely possible that next year the same tester will not put that same advisory on your certificate, even if you've done nothing about it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've had the same advisories on my E39 BMW from its first MOT some 10 years ago. Slight play on a rear sway bar link. Slight play track rod inner ball joint. Not every MOT, but most. Probably built like that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It already is.

Reply to
David Taylor

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , The Revd writes

Only if it's doe rhythmically, surely?

Reply to
Gordon H

Buck rhythmically, Shirley?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

In message , Ian Dalziel writes

Doh!

Reply to
Gordon H

Last time they failed my car as I had overlooked one side indicator bulb, so why didn't they just replace it there and then and put it on the bill? It took me just two minutes to replace! Doh!

Reply to
johannes

many places have a policy of free minor adjustments and bulb replacement. the letter of mot testing though is that it fails, whether they then fix it and it passes or not is completely different and down to the garage policies and what you ask them to do. Vosa cannot know what the most common failures/models/ages of vehicle problems unless a failure is put into the system.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

they could have done a PRS (pass & rectify at station) which would mean they would fail the vehilce on the bulb, replace the bulb & then pass it, all within the same timescale, but what ever they do it must be acknowledged as a fail, otherwise it dosnt give a true meaning of fail/pass rates.

Reply to
reg

Because legally you could have refused to pay for the replacement lamp as you had not instructed them to carry out minor works if required .

Not all vehicle lamps take a few minutes to replace some take over an hour to access

Reply to
steve robinson

Not to mention from the garage's point of view, what happens if, when they do a minor repair just out of goodwill without consulting the owner, that triggers another fault? I suspect they could be held liable for that, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

Luckily, the manual car shows how to change the side indicator bulb; just push the plastic cover forward...

1993: Car manuals usually had chapters on how to do simple service tasks. 2011: Car manuals tells you about MP3 and nothing else.
Reply to
johannes

That would have been a sensible simple solution for a few pennies!

DId you have to pay a re-test or that the stupidly make you pay the full amount. I know some places operate like that, but most have a 10 day free re test I think.

Reply to
Pete