New car bargains

Nik&Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@adenleyremovethis.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not necessarily. Might just need cleaning up and greasing.

If you count £3,300 as "very little"... I don't. Assuming that's the three year figure, that's adding "only" 50% to the rest of your outgoings.

The other thing you've got to work around is the fact that that low depreciation is solely because the Mini is currently "fashionable" - despite the fact it's been around for nearly four years now - will it still be in another three years? Bear in mind they're ramping production up, so any artificial shortages will disappear. It's certainly not an inherently great car, so there may well be an element of "Emperor's new clothes" backlash from the fashionista which will hit the values hard.

Reply to
Adrian

Slow doesn't begin to describe it, it makes 3.5T panel vans seen nippy

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Chris Bolus wrote: >

But (unless something exotic) surely not for *every* year?

Maintenance to me implies servicing costs. I hadn't considered replacement of broken bits as part of that. I still think £850 every year is far too high.

I've been on the road since 1962. I've owned everything from old tat that would just about drag itself along, to new cars. I've never spent £850 in a year on any of them.

My current car was bought new 6 years ago. Initially servicing was done by the dealer, for the last 3 years by me. I doubt that the total bill for servicing and replacements, excluding wear items like tyres and brake parts, is £850 for the *6* years.

Of course, it is a Ford ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I like my car - the most it can depreciate is £250 no matter how rough it gets.

Reply to
Guy King

Saab 9000. Not that it cost me a penny in maintenance!

You might be surprised. A while ago I was put in a position where I _had_ to budget my costs and stick to them. The £385 figure includes tyres and exhausts pro rata, and general service items. It only just covers it. Garage labour on top of that would double it easily.

Can't stand 'em ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bolus

My thinking precisely!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Yes, £385 p.a. to include tyres, exhausts and other consumables doesn't seem unreasonable. However the OP was saying *£850* p.a. and I'm blessed if I know how you would spend that much every year on a car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Damn it, your all so sensible, I know I should probably keep the Peugeot till it goes bang, but I really hate it.. I'm just trying to justify the expenditure in my mind financially so I can get away with it.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Nik&Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@adenleyremovethis.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In that case, try to justify it for something worth owning... A diseasel Mini, ffs?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

Aaaargh, that's more than three new cars every year!

Reply to
Guy King

Ok, you have a point!

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I reckon if I only spent that a year then I'd probably need 3new cars a year.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from "Duncan Wood" contains these words:

In a year mine's cost me four tyres, two brake cylinders (not /absolutely/ required, but since they're not much over a fiver each I might as well since I was replaceing the shoes and the handbrake cables), rear shoes, half a handbrake cable and a head gasket. Under £300 including a couple of oil/filter changes and a pair of wiper blades.

Since I don't expect to replace the head gasket or the tyres again in a hurry and the exhaust's in good nick I would hope this year's going to be rather cheaper.

Reply to
Guy King

Well I reckon on 3-4 oil/filter changes, 4 tyres , 2 pairs of wipers , 1/2 a set of brake pads, 1/2 a set of plugs & 1/2 a set of leads. Which if nothing goes wrong still takes me over that :-( Thereagain that's still under 2p a mile

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I love mine, and it can't even depreciate to the tune of 250! (1988 1L Metro, ok, you can stop laughing now!) It's old enough to drive itself, and there's probably more weld plate than original bodywork by now, but hey, the rust complements the metallic blue paintwork very nicely ;) , it starts first time every time, and I can fit so much stuff in the boot I've re-christened it The Tardis. I trust it to get me anywhere, I often make 175ish mile round trips to visit family - just the other day I was legging it up the M5 overtaking all those flashy new cars, ner-ner. :) And it's so short and maneuverable that I can parallel park it *anywhere*!

Reply to
Helen Page

The message from Helen Page contains these words:

Nothing wrong with Metros - most of the people who criticise them never actually drove them. They're reliable, easy and cheap to fix, and provided the rubber bits haven't died are great fun to fling round corners.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Or, at least, better than a contemporary Fiesta.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Actually I did, and had a second one. Mind you I had a second Skoda Estelle too...

Not sure about reliable... but no worse than any other A-series. Not nearly as chuckable as a Mini though!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I'm sure Metro's are great, but there is a very good reason they have stopped making them, they are very very unsafe....

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Wonder how my modified citroen axgt would fare??

128bhp @ 8250rpm and only 680kg.

That said, my E32 seven series is supposed to be "to hard" for occupants on the inside!!!

Reply to
Mr Fix It