New Vectra steering problem

Hi,

I've a problem with the power steering on my 98000 mile 03 plate Vectra. It seems to have a delay when turning the steering wheel quickly. For a split second, the steering is heavy and then its powered as normal.

I've posted this problem before, thanks for the replies, but the problem still exists. Not that I've actually done anything like take it to Vauxhall for example!!

However, I suddenly realised when this problem started...

It was on returning from holiday where it had been sitting in an airport car park for two weeks. The kindly parking staff had parked my car and left the lights on. The car had no problems before I went, and as soon as I'd jump started it the steering was heavy.

Now, if the pump is electric rather than hydraulic, could it be that its got out of sync somewhere. would disconnecting the battery for half an hour do any good? Or do I really have to bite the bullet and go to vauxhall?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Bezzie

Not an expert, but I am sure that this model uses the electric power steering.

I can simulate your fault by stalling my Vauxhall then jumping it rather than using the key. It is only the case for about 20 seconds until the thing winds up again.

Maybe just a case of a low battery???

Reply to
PhilÅ

If the battery has run flat, then there are some volatile memories in relation to the steering that have got to be reset, provided it's got a yaw rate sensor on the steering rack (basically a sensor that tells the EPS control unit how fast you're turning the steering wheel, so it can vary the level of assistance acordingly).

From what I remember, it's just a case of starting the car up without moving it, and turning the steering from lock to lock If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes, then reconnecting it and trying the above again. Failing that, it's going to have to be checked for any faults, and possibly reset/programmed with diagnostic kit.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill