OT somewhat: Chassis design legal requirements

yup, I'm in there as we speak :) I'm suprised they are so lenient, it seems somewhat nuts that any old idiot can weld up a road going bullet and present it! I suppose its fine so long as your SVA tester is knowledgeable, as im sure they are.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

At the end of the day, the only person you're likely to kill is yourself, and one passenger. Which I suppose they think is fair enough. And I suspect like the owners of heavily modified cars, kit car owners are statistically less likely to crash due to the time and effort invested in the machine, the higher levels of general maintenance etc.

Reply to
Doki

True. Although I'd have thought they would have paid a lot of attention to 2 seaters due to passenger, maybe less to 1 seaters.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

Cheers, just signed up!

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

He's worried. These are the same people that PASSED Jez Clarkson's Top Gear stretched Mini "limo". Which later fell in 2. I had thought the whole idea of SVA was to prevent cut 'n shut cars that fall in 2 from being used legally on the road.

If you can give the seatbelt a good tug and it's anchor points don't flex visibly, it will pass.

and import cars though here too. Once regd in UK they can re-reg them anywhere in Europe.

Reply to
Peter Hill

All of which already have reg docs so have never been SVA'ed. Yes if you put a Cossie engine in the boot of a Punto it should have but hey it wasn't. Or cut the firewall out of a Rover SD1 to put a R-R V12 tank engine in and change the front and rear suspension, seems it was MOTed as 27Litre years ago and beat the deadline.

The current modders rule is you only go though SVA if you don't have a log book that matches the chassis plate. At the mo mods are been noted on MOT - like no pass seats. Only after they find the extent can they start to do something about rounding up all the un SVA'ed mods.

Reply to
Peter Hill

There was a bloke a while ago who built a Renault engined thing with a completely custom designed chassis and bodywork, and a 2CV with a lightweight super aero balsa body. It's not all about big engines in already made cars...

Reply to
Doki

------------8 :) The SVA test requires crash testing proof though, quote:

That's for an _enhanced_ SVA. For a standard SVA, generally for crash-worthiness, they (SVA inspectors) just do a visual inspection of the chassis for strength around important areas and check the steering column won't be harpooned through the drivers chest on impact.

Whilst my car was there, failing for various other reasons, I saw a custom three wheeler (car) there for a retest, as they'd failed it for insufficient triangulation around the seat belt mounts.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Crewe

Oh ok, fair enough. Yeah, being safety conscious the idea of a kit car seems counter intuitive to me, yet exciting. Plus I can improve on safety aspects as I see fit. Hell I must know more about engineering than everyone else thats been in the industry for years eh! lol. Back to reality....

:)

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

You don't seriously think that things like that on Top Gear happen by accident do you? They're _made_ to happen so that it makes good telly. No doubt the falling-apart limo had some judicious help off-camera from an angle grinder. Like the caravan episode. No-one in their right mind would have attempted half those things, especially the chip pan, and their feeble attempts at fire-fighting, and setting the adjacent awning alight. No, that was all staged.

Anyway, you miss the point. SVA would not apply to a cut & shut as that's essentially a bodged-up production car. If it were made up from insurance write-offs, it would need a VIC - which is what I think you mean - but that's quite different from an SVA, which is aimed squarely at kit cars and one-off specials.

Reply to
asahartz

I suspect Hammonds brain damage wasn't planned :)

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

well yes, that one aside!

Reply to
asahartz

Why is it that I think that if Conor had a kit car, it would have a 10- plus litre Diesel engine, and a 12-speed box? :)

Reply to
Tim Vincent

Tim Vincent ( snipped-for-privacy@freewheeling.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

...and use Ford Crapi suspension...