OT: Speed Cameras on motorways

Hi, On a recent trip southbound on the m6 in cumbria I went past a speed camera. My road speed was 80mph and I was on the Left Hand Lane (UK) There was a car passing me obviously going faster than I was and there was even someone overtaking him in the far right lane. These other two motorists must have been going well over 80mph.

Not to be unpopular here but this is probebly going to be :) Why didnt I get a ticket because the motorway speed limit is 70mph and I went past a camera at 80mph?

What are these motorway speed cameras actually set at? People often pass me at speeds that are well above the limit 80-90mph, i doubt speeding on the motorway would be so widespread if they were getting tickets.

Many thanks on your views Richard.

Reply to
Richard Jones

80 indicated in most cars is more like 70 actual speed due to the 10% overread on most speedos. They're generally set at 10% of the limit + 2mph, so 79mph in a 70 limit, but they can be set to 70 in a 70 limit if they want.
Reply to
Doki

For the ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) Speed Enforcement Guidelines, see

Note:- this is a 55KB Word document. From that document, in a 70mph limit they recommend a fixed penalty ticket as soon as you reach 79mph and a summons when you reach 96mph.

These are recommendations and Forces can institute their own limits.

Further, (this is a direct quote from the ACPO document) "This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table. Moreover, in particular circumstances, driving at speeds lower than the legal limit may result in prosecution for other offences, for example dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention when the speed is inappropriate and inherently unsafe."

Reply to
Howard Neil

Was this a fixed camera? I don't recall any fixed cameras around this area.

Where was this camera?

ACPO guidlines say 10% + 4 so you would be ok at 79 - assuming that your speedo was "true" at that speed. At an indicated 80 your acual speed is more likely to be around 72 as most manufacturers tend towards the "I was going at 125" school of motorists as far as speed is concerned and calibrate the speedo accordingly.

GATSCO cameras are often set at higher speeds to catch the more dangerous drivers.Also the police are much more pragmatic than most people give them credit for.Anyone caught at 80mph is much more likely to dispute the ticket (often received some days later) and drag things out, thereby wasting police time (IMHO)

The police car that follows and actually stops you uses VASCAR and is very accurate as it is calibrated over a known distance at the start and end of a shift. Less accurate is the "stopwatch" system used for the start and end of the distance used to get your speed.

More forces now use a Prevention van unit on overhead junctions or flyovers. Sliding door open - radar deployed. Been seen on the M74 and M6. Notification of speeding is posted on to you - not that I have personal experience mind. Its safer for both the motorist and police as the car is not parked up at risk on the hard shoulder and any "chase" on a motorway in anything other that light traffic is very dangerous.

However in my opinion HGV's who pull out without any warning and either force you to brake sharply or make a very rapid move to the outside lane are far more likely to cause an accident on a motorway.

Reply to
wains

When I took my sister partway to Scotland over Christmas they were setting up a load of roadside cameras up there plus the one in the van on the overhead bridge... now where's those tyres and that petrol...

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Not all cameras are operational 24 hours a day 7 days a week; although the more recent digital cameras this will become less so. The camera itself either operational or not is enough of a deterrent to many drivers - how many drivers do you see travelling at about 70 mph who slow suddenly when they see a police car or camera even though they were not doing anything wrong in the first place.

Echo the comments about lorry drivers pulling out suddenly but wish somebody would come up with a camera to spot people reading as they drive or even worse reading and using the phone! The people I see doing this most tend to be in large executive company cars and I thought such rewards in life were given to those who demonstrated a high level of intelligence (obviously my degree isn't enough on its own and I need to learn some more stupidity)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Portess

Talking of speed cameras what on earth is the car with a big red light on it doing on a farm access track running off a bridge so it has a good view of the adjacent M1 southbound at one of the 50 limit road works for putting armco round the bridge center piers. I have to assume it's some sort of infra red source for an infra red camera. There was no M1 access for some miles either way and the thing is too big for them to start a persuit. Time for some heated number plates?

I saw it Sunday last week at about 9pm.

Peter Hill

The speed camera was on the M6 southbound on the way to lancaster and may well have been in lancashire. or cumbria i am not sure. I just think not that motorway speeds are too high but what is the point in saying the limit is 70 when hardly anyone does that and obviously people are getting away with it.

Reply to
Richard Jones

Any measurements from a following car will inevitably be inaccurate, although it could be used for gross speed violations.

Yes, the importance if keeping a distance to other vehicles. Distance is like having a bank balance; comes in handy at times. Sadly, any gaps you create are quickly filled :(

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

It might not have been active?

-- Ken Davidson

snipped-for-privacy@removehotmail.com remove remove to email

Reply to
DocDelete

No they do not. Read for yourself what ACPO guidelines say.

Er... The "stopwatch" system you mention is exactly how Vascar works.

Reply to
Howard Neil

IIRC correctly when I was up there last week there was some roadwork's with GATSO's I witnessed them going off twice (not at me I might add)

As these cameras are usually set for speed limit + 10% + 5mph, and according to the bloke I chatted to the other week, "a few notches more, depending on the location".

Is the OP sure that he saw speed cameras and not surveillance cameras?

see

Tom Burton

Agreed - ACPO guidelines were amended after they were threatened with court action by Transport2000 - see

was after an attempt to standardise the treatment of speeding, howeverACPO were challenged over their right to set any standard for prosecutionother than that laid down in law.

Reply to
Bob Davis

And the excellent news is that the knives are well and truly out for the Mad Mullah of North Wales, one Richard "I hate all motorists" Brunstrom, now that both the Metropolitan and City of London Police forces have officially complained about his opinions and directions to ACPO on speed policy.

Hopefully, his tenure is now extremely limited.

Reply to
Neil Barker

You've never heard of the Dilbert principle?

Reply to
Brian Jennings

ACPO do not set (or try to set) standards other than that laid down in law. They simply provide guidelines, not just with speeding but with many different subjects.

Their guidelines are just that. It is for individual Chief Constables/Commissioners to decide the policy for each force (taking into consideration the guidelines).

Not only that, it is the legal prerogative (and responsibility) of every single Constable to make his/her own decisions regarding action to be taken in each case. Each Constable will, of course, take into conderation their force's policy when making their decision. This is also pointed out in the ACPO Speed Enforcement Guidleines. If any senior officer sought to take away the Constable's discretion, it would not be a lawful order.

This has always been the case.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Unfortunately, the Met and City forces views will have no effect on Mr Brunstrom. Mr Brunstrom is only answerable to his own police authority and makes his own force policies.

Reply to
Howard Neil

(The Mad Mullah, aka Richard Brunstrom)

Richard Brunstrom is chairman of the ACPO committe on road policing, so he has a lot more power than you give him credit for :-(

Somehow, I don't think he will be chairman of said committe for that much longer, as pressure mounts for him to step down from it.

Reply to
Neil Barker

Let me know how I can maintain a safe distance with the inside lane of a motorway when I am in the middle lane? Perhaps you misunderstood and also never had a HGV suddenly decide that he is going to overtake the guy if front - without a signal! If so, then you have been very lucky or do not drive on motorways

Reply to
wains