OT. Volvo F12 commercial vehicle double plate clutch

My apologies for this probably OT post. I own and use a 1985 Volvo F12 tractor unit. Clutch recently failed. Got new genuine parts from local Volvo agents. Replaced the pressure plate,

2x friction discs, withdrawal bearing and 3x centralising gizmos on the intermediate disc. Put it all back together and................ it doesn't work. Cannot engage any gear, the clutch is not breaking. Removed the box again (several days work) and could find nothing wrong. Called Volvo folk out & they could find nothing wrong. Spoke with Volvo tech., quoted all relevant numbers and they were stumped. Any ideas please? or another forum that might be more appropriate. The vehicle concerned is a 150 tonne 6x4 tractor to which I have added a 4th steering/lifting axle. Thanks Ray
Reply to
Ray

Hi

First question, why did you replace the clutch?

What is the flywheel like, any signs of wear?

And are you sure the slave cylinder/master cylinder working correctly?

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

Thanks Nigel,

first Q an oddity. One day had been out pulling a trailer loaded with crane ballast. Gross weight about 120t. No sign of any problem, the old truck performed perfectly. Got home, dropped trailer and parked lorry. Next morning -- no clutch. Very odd. Immediately checked all linkages and slave/master cylinders. No leaks and all operating perfectly well within tolerances. Thus presumed the clutch had given up. It was last changed just over 4 years ago. I've had the tractor from new, nearly 1.5m kms. The 2 friction discs were well worn but not to the rivets.

Flywheel is good as is the intermediate disc. No cracks or heat crazing. Both run true and have been thoroughly checked. My feeling is that the problem lies in the intermediate disc or the 3 centralisers bolted to it, but I cannot think of a good reason for this. I don't know what the 3 centralisers do! In short, slave & master cylinders are good, flywheel & intermediate discs are good, 2x friction discs, withdrawal bearing and pressure plate are new. I think the problem must lie in the intermediate disc but I'm stumped for a cure.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

friction disc in the wrong way round? (seen this done on cars a couple of times, clutch feels like it should work, but doesn't disengage)

Reply to
mrcheerful

Definitely not the case. There are 2 friction discs and they can only physically fit one way. By that I mean there is no possible way of getting the orientation of the friction discs wrong. The 'flywheel side' disc will only fit one way and will not fit the 'pressure plate' side at all. The 'pressure plate' friction disc will only fit the pressure plate side etc. Believe me, I have tried all perms. Utterly confused. Also depressed, which my clutch refuses to be! Ray.

Reply to
Ray

Sorry to sound unhelpful, but if a Volvo mechanic looking at the assembly in front of him can not see the fault, I'm pretty sure that no one will be able to cure it from a written description!

Check that all the components have gone back together in the right order, and the right way round. Also check that the intermediate plate slides where it should, without sticking. Check the splines on the input shaft for damage, and that the friction plates slide smoothly on them without sticking. Do any of the parts have marks on them that show there has been contact where there shouldn't be? Check the friction plates for any warp.

I know all the above suggestions are a bit vague and generalised, but without seeing it its hard to advice better. Maybe you could post some pics somewhere?

Reply to
SimonJ

I believe they're there to ensure that the intermediate plate is centralised between the 2 friction discs, so it can't clear one and be dragging on the other.

Can you see if the release arm is moving to its full extent, I'm assuming you've laid underneath watching whilst someone else pressed the pedal?

Steve.

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks SimonJ. Not unhelpful in the slightest. A written description is the best I can offer at this time. All components have been replaced in the correct order. The intermediate disc is sandwiched, and firmly bolted, between the flywheel and pressure plate with a friction disc between the flywheel and intermediate disc and another friction disc between the intermediate disc and the pressure plate. The intermediate disc does not connect to the primary input shaft other than via the friction discs. All splines on the input shaft are good and with minimal wear as the gearbox is but slightly over a year old, genuine Volvo. All bar the intermediate disc are new and genuine replacement parts. Flywheel friction discintermediatefriction discpressure plate. Primary input shaft goes through all but is attached to only the 2 friction plates and the spigot bearing. I think my description of the intermediate may be wrong. This is a machined ring contained in a cast holder and is suspended on flexible retainers. The

2 friction discs are allowed to rotate between flywheel/intermediate and intermediate/pressure plate when the clutch in disengaged. Hope that makes some sense. Flywheel, intermediate & pressure plate are firmly bolted together, effectively as one unit when in use. Ray.
Reply to
Ray

Hi You say no clutch in the morning? But you had clutch operation the previous night, when you parked up?

What did the clutch peddle feel like in the morning? Soft with no resistance or firm as though the slave and release arm were working?

My thoughts are, you can't have a clutch one day and not the next, without a master/slave problem. You may have operation, but if air is in the system, then you'll have the appearance of operation, but with out the reaction.. Have a good look around the clutch peddle in the cab, were the rod goes through the bulk head, make sure there's no leakage of fluid, also check the flexi pipe, on the front cab hinge, make sure it's not leaking there. And the flexi is in good condition and not swelling with the clutch depressed..

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

How good a view of the clutch do you have when the gearbox is in? Is there an inspection hole of some sort, and can you see fro definite that the pressure plate is being pulled back when the pedal is pressed? (I assume that this is a pull type clutch)

Have you tried putting the old clutch back in, see what happens then?

Can you give a better description of these centraliser jobbies, what do they do and how?

Reply to
SimonJ

Bear ( snipped-for-privacy@member.v.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That was my exact first thought, too - it can't be a friction plate problem. It must be an actuation problem.

Ray - So what's the difference between the symptoms now and before you started? Nothing?

Reply to
Adrian

Could it be a cracked clutch actuator that's just looks to be moving normally but is bending somewhere out of site?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Thanks Steve,

I imagine your explanation of the centralisers is correct. The release arm certainly appeared to move to its full extent when viewed through the inspection hole. Have now cured the problem and will post this in a separate reply to the group.

Ray.

Reply to
Ray

Thanks Nigel,

Initially I was inclined to agree with you and the first things we checked were master slave cyls along with linkages and pipework. All were fine. The slave cyl was/is giving max throw . Have now cured the problem and will post this in a separate reply to the group.

Ray.

Reply to
Ray

Thanks Pete,

definitely not the problem. Have now cured the problem and will post this in a separate reply to the group. Ray.

Reply to
Ray

Our original thought was an actuation problem. Checked all and found to be in perfect working order. The symptoms after fitting new clutch were identical to those when the clutch failed originally. Have now cured the problem and will post this in a separate reply to the group.

Ray.

Reply to
Ray

Thanks Simon,

view of the clutch with 'box fitted is poor but from what can be seen all is operating correctly. We didn't retry the old clutch because it is a real ache removing and reinstalling the 'box. The best description of the centralisers that I have seen was posted earlier in this thread by shazzbatt. Even Volvo tech. couldn't give a sensible answer to the question. Have now cured the problem and will post this in a separate reply to the group. Ray

Reply to
Ray

Managed to find a new intermediate plate, refitted clutch, gearbox et al and it is now working fine. Many thanks to all have responded with such helpful and informative advice and questions.

Ray.

Reply to
Ray