Paging Andy Hewitt

Andy, just came across this Accord Aerodeck here:

Your comments much appreciated.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

And another one that doesn't look too bad either:

Timo Geusch

Looks OK to me, they were a pretty solid old motor, but obviously somewhat dated now. If you do go for it, check that N/S carefully, the photo looks like the door is a different colour to the rear wing.

Not too much goes wrong, although at this age suspect rear brake calipers, ALB sensors, ALB pumps, headlight motors, corrosion and the seat belt arm.

Otherwise the injection system *never* went wrong on these, bar a little bit of cleaning of the throttle body now and then.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Not bad either. The carburetter model wasn't kitted out so well, but didn't come with ALB (so less to go wrong). The rear brakes are drums too, and also have less bother.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

That's fine, I'm looking for a replacement for the Jetta which the Ursine one seems to want to buy off me. So replacing 1980s technology with 1980s technology is OK :-)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I remembered from the last time I was looking at them. All three that I'm interested in seem to be OK rust-wise which surprises me a bit but in a positive way. Guess it's time to have a chat with the owners methinks.

I think I can handle that...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

That's good to know. Disregarding the price difference, which model would you go for?

BTW, are they known for leaking around the windscreen? The silver one seems to have a nice puddle in the driver's footwell...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Actually it looks like door and front wing, at closer inspection.

Hmmm. Maybe a hedge jumped out at him?

Oh, and this is number three, at a price where you double the value of the car by sticking road tax on:

Timo Geusch
[Snipped Text]

Could be, A bit of colour mismatch isn't a worry on a red car though, as long as the job was repaired well, and there's no signs of rusting.

To be honest, all that lot look OK. As long as the tin worm isn't too bad, and they sound OK, just go for the one at the best price.

Personally I'd pick one of the carb models, they have a few things less to go wrong - such as rear calipers.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Indeed. Main problem with that car is that I'd need to buy it blind as I don't have the time to go to Gloucester...

I'll probably check out the silver one this afternoon to see what it's like and then go bid on it if it looks like it's half-decent.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Hmm, not worth such a chance then really.

Good luck.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

better than a Alfa Romeo' though :-)

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)

Silly question, really.

Why get shot of the Jetta for one of those?

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed, not that the Jetta is better or worse, but at that age of car, why bother?

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

He wants my Marea, he does, so I can go out and buy a 156 V6.

'Plenty bargain, much cheapness'

Reply to
SteveH
[Snipped Text]

This is Timo here!

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Exactly, and oddball car like a Marea 20v would suit him down to the ground.

Reply to
SteveH

That's true, it could just work. I've seen him break every Honda he's had ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Not entirely related, but how common are SRS module failures in 98 - 02 Accords? :-(

Reply to
DervMan

Because my left arm is causing trouble again which means I can't really drive cars without power steering for the time being unless I want to make it worse, that's why. And making it worse means no biking, hence it's not an option.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Nononono, it isn't cheap enough.

Reply to