Prius causes mayhem

The thing is that even if he wasn't to blame for the accident, (as it's certainly not unknown for an elderly driver to suffer from a heart attack) there's always the possibility that he wouldn't have acquired a sufficient amount of experience and driving skill which may have helped him to avoid a collision.

|| cheers, || clive

Reply to
Ivan

well that is really responsible isn't it. stop them breeding till they can prove they are responsible, and no more than two passengers if the driver is a learner (covers driving school habits) plus learner vehicles must be restricted to 40mph

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Well I'll give 10/10 to the d*****ad that started all of this with his pre-pubescent comments, nice work you sick bastard.

Reply to
Dave

I couldn't agree with you more, but IMO the trouble is that many of the punishments handed out appear to be absolutely pathetic.

I've seen cases where people who haven't had any form of valid drivers licence (in some cases because they are too young to own one) and who have maybe seriously injured or even killed someone in a stolen vehicle, have almost unbelievably as part of their punishment received a three-year driving ban!

Surely depending on the circumstances, anything from a twenty-year to a lifetime ban would be good for starters?

|| mrcheerful

Reply to
Ivan

mrcheerful. ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Right.

So learners cannot "make sufficient progress" on NSL roads, and instructors need two vehicles if they're going to be doing post-test motorway lessons.

Reply to
Adrian

Sometimes you can say the most stupid things.

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Welcome to Usenet.

Reply to
Adrian

How do you figure that 5 people in an Escort is overloaded?

Reply to
ThePunisher

"Dave" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Nothing wrong with what I said, it's pure conjecture. My theory is as good as any you'll find on usenet.

Reply to
Tunku
[...]

...especially when one of them was a four-month old baby...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes wasn't really my intention to do that. Just replying to the OP who was.

Reply to
CWatters

Who would presumably be strapped into an approved baby carrier (needing a seatbelt). If the Escort has three seat belts in the back then it wouldn't be overloaded but if it only has two then it's more debatable.

Reply to
CWatters

No it isn't. It's a 5 seater car.

Reply to
Conor

Why? ATM there is no requirement for every passenger to be secured if there are more bums than seats.

To be *overloaded* would imply the weight of the occupants exceeded the safe limit for the vehicle. Clearly that is not so in this case.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

in the uk there is

no vehicle safe weight has anything to do with it. if a car has four seatbelts then only 4 people can ride in the car, if it has 5 belts then the maximum number of people is 5 ect ect.

Reply to
aussie bongo

Wrong.

You'd be right from September when the new rules come in, IIRC, but for now, you're wrong.

We did all this recently.

Reply to
PC Paul

No there's not!

Child restraint law changes in September 2006. Basically, all *children* will then need to be correctly secured.

There is a current proposal that will apply to all *adults*, but this would not become law until 2009.

Totally incorrect I'm afraid.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Out of curiosity, will this also include cars which, for whatever reason, did not have factory fitted rear seat belts? I'm thinking of much older cars at the moment - I remember when I was a kid my dad fitting rear harnesses for us. Potentially, some of those cars may still be going. Probably a theoretical question really.

David Hearn
[...]

Have a look here (item 14):

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks.

  1. What if there are no seat belts in the rear of a vehicle (car/van/camper)?

Children under 3 must use the correct baby seat or child seat so they would need to be travelling in the front in the correct child restraint. Children 3 and over must use child seats or boosters in the rear where seat belts are fitted. The law is not going to make people fit restraints in the rear of vehicles where the seats do not have seat belts; but it is not safe for children to ride in the rear of a vehicle without a restraint.

Something I've often wondered about though are buses. Whilst children under 3 have to have a proper seat, there's no provision for them on buses, even the youngest of babies, which would have to be carried in arms. On the bus journeys I've been on, it's common to have sharp braking at some point (causing you to be thrown forward onto the metal bar/seat in front). I'd hate to carry a newborn on a bus!

Thanks

David Hearn