Re: Replacement Fiesta Alloy

> I am looking for a trustworthy source for a genuine replacement. > Other than Ford direct (mucho expensivo) anyone got reliable > source please? > Phil

Ebay. If the tyre is poor, will go for pennies. Compared to a new one from Ford.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How badly crunched it it? Wheel restorers can repair quite significant damage.

Other than Dave's Ebay suggestion, one from a local breaker plus a restore might still be cheaper than new.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Given it's an oldish car, wouldn't all the wheels need restoring?

The OP didn't say the size. If a basic-ish model and there are bigger on the upmarket models, the standard wheels can be very cheap indeed on Ebay. Selling after an upgrade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Who knows? It would depend on their current condition, and how fussy the OP was.

Fiesta alloys on Ebay won't be dirt cheap because lots of them came with steel wheels, so certain folk would want to replace them with alloys.

Cheapest ATM seems to be 70UKP. A new one is around 122UKP, so hardly a bargain

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That's what I didn't know. Some cars have several sizes and types according to model. And it's the biggest ones which tend to be in demand.

If the 70 quid one includes a decent tyre?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Ones with decent tyres were more like 90UKP

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Still better value than 122 gbp for a new bare wheel, then?

But are you sure of the spec of the wheel the OP needs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Not really; just cheaper.

As I pointed out earlier, the wheel might be repairable, and that could be for an even lower price. It would at least be worth the OP enquiring.

I's not relevant; I wasn't trying to do the OP's shopping, just wanted to point out that although the Fiesta is a common car, used alloys for it in general don't go for pennies.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Maybe. Colour match to the others may not be good, though.

Point I was making that many cars have various sizes of wheels across the range. And the largest one are what the 'upgraders' want. Therefore smaller sizes tend to be very much cheaper.

Without knowing the actual size it is just speculation.

BIN prices for such things on Ebay are what a dealer wants and is willing to wait (hope) for. A private seller simply wanting rid will sell them at auction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

No disrespect to the OP, but it's his wife's near 10-years old shopping trolley. I doubt that is going to matter too much.

I would accept that if it wasn't a car that in is poverty spec has steel wheels.

Not sure of the relevance here, but that doesn't match my experience over 11 years, with over 1,000 purchases. Inexperienced private sellers often set unrealistically high BIN values.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Based on my actual experience of BMW wheels. If a car has a choice with model, upgraders want the ones fitted to the most upmarket one. Even where they are all alloys. But perhaps different styles and sizes. The desirable ones can fetch good money - the lower spec ones not.

I'd guess the same applies with cars like a Fiesta.

They can set whatever BIN they like. But quoting a BIN from Ebay does not mean it sells for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm surprised you couldn't find a used one with a decent tyre already on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)