rear window cold

Hi all. Old rover 416 again. I don't think the rear window heater is working. Visually, I know how they act..ie the glass demists 'around the wires'...

When this heater is switched on, should it feel warm on the hand?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

The message from "Arthur" contains these words:

Generally not. Put a lightbulb across the two terminals on the screen to see if it's getting power.

Commonest cause of death apart from switches and relays is scratching the traces off the screen. That and the wires breaking where they cross the hinge line of the boot.

Reply to
Guy King

Cheers, Skip. Is it expensive to repair?

Arthur

Reply to
ravenscrofta

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk contains these words:

Depends what it is! If it's the wire broken, then just repair it. If it's the screen traces broken then in all honesty you'll need a new screen.

Reply to
Guy King

The SD1 one failed on the wide strip which feeds the narrow ones. Got a repair kit (silver paint stuff) from Halfords and it worked fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Guy King wrote in news:3130303034323739435E391E83 @zetnet.co.uk:

Conductive paint wouldn't stand the current, then? Or are the wires embedded in the glass?

Reply to
Stu

The message from Stu contains these words:

No, it's just that you've got to be really deft to do conductive paint properly - and it takes considerable preparation to get it just right and not make a complete splodgybodge of it. And even then it doesn't always work.

Reply to
Guy King

First make sure the window is spotless. Wash with washing up liquid, rinse and dry. Then wipe with something like IPA. Then use masking tape to the width of the track. Unless a sign writer, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I fail to see how an alcoholic beverage will help in this situation.

Reply to
SteveH

Helps you not care about how bad you bodge the back window.

Never ever confuse the two IPAs, otherwise you end up with sticky tape heads and a serious hangover.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

A pint of IPA always cleared me out nicely too.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Beer-rays!

Reply to
Guy King

If I may just jump in on this one! On my pug 205 gti both connectors have come off the rear screen. Is there any kind of conductive glue on the market i can use to stick them back on? Cgeers Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Watkins