Removing stuck on number plates

My sisters car has some shabby and probly boredline legal numberplates with some type of saturation distorting a bit of it so I said I'd change them for her.

They don't appear to be screwed on but stuck on. Whats the best way to remove them and not damage the surface there stuck on.

They seem solidly on and I gave them a good pull.

Reply to
Peter smith

Peter smith gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Bit of fishing line or similar round the back, to cut through the sticky pads like cheese wire.

Reply to
Adrian

Given one of mine fell off on a very hot day - a hot air gun?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Peter smith laid this down on his screen :

Length of fishing line or similar fed around the back of the plate, then pulled against the sticky pad using a sawing motion on the line. It should cut straight through the pad, releasing it without damage to the plate or the car. If the line tends to bind, spary some WD40 on it. The WD40 will also help get the sticky remnants of the pad off too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield