Reversing lights.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian Stirling saying something like:

Not so far as I am aware - just cheapness on the makers' parts. You can add another if you want.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

moray (mtb_hyphen snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If reversing lamps are present, but in the wrong place or too bright, C&U can indeed be enforced.

There's nothing in C&U requiring them to be present.

Reply to
Adrian

adder1969 ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

First registered after 1/4/80.

For older cars, if it's present, it must work.

Reply to
Adrian

Grimly Curmudgeon ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEgmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But it must be symmetrical with the other one - as must the fog light.

Reply to
Adrian

Is there an online copy of the actual regulations anywhere? I'm not finding it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Cheapskate includes quite a lot of Japanese stuff and the new Golf...

Reply to
Doki

Ian Stirling ( snipped-for-privacy@mauve.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not of C&U as a whole, but the RVLR (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations)

1989, (together with 1994, 1996 and 2005 amendments) which form part of the C&U family are online.
Wake us up if you find anything interesting...
Reply to
Adrian

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Correct, it does.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From the first, "no flashing lights" (with logical exceptions, decorative ones are right out).

'must be symmetrical' ... Where?

In the regulation I see 'no more than two, to the rear, with an approval mark, white, with not more than 24W per light' (schedule 14 of the first link) There is no requirement I can see on position.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling ( snipped-for-privacy@mauve.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

For reversing lights, you're right. My apologies.

For rear fogs :-

  1. Other requirements- Where two rear fog lamps are fitted to a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or to a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October
1985 they shall form a matched pair.
Reply to
Adrian

I now see a blanket exemption for requiring standards on lamps, as long as they meet the standard, so that's not a problem - as the only real requirement for an added reversing light are that it's white.

I saw assorted 'matched pair', and 'pair' used through the document.

I diddn't see any actual requirement that they be symmetricly arranged about the vehicle. It could not unreasonably be taken to mean identical lamps.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There is a (potentially fallacious) argument that it means you can still see the brakelights.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

Those who reverse regularly and really need to see what's going on at the back will ignore that particular piece of nonsense and fit a 55W lamp. cf truckers, recovery vehicle drivers, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They're not reversing lights though, they're on a seperate switch.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Duncan Wood" saying something like:

Of course, that's the story. :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon