Rover 214 a bit "lumpy"

Rover 214 "K" Series 16 valve. A bit juddery and underpowered until about

2500 to 3000rpm is dialled in then it runs just fine. Also when coming to a stop the idle takes a rather long time to drop to the normal idle speed. Can be up to a minute or more. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated. Abuse will be ignored - unless it's funny.
Reply to
gazzafield

OK then, stock K series answer (I'm posting this via Google groups so it's probably the tenth reply saying exactly the same thing):

Head gasket. :o)

Sticky idle control valve perhaps? Try giving the inside of the throttle body a good blast of carb cleaner.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

It's worth a shot. A sticky tappet has been suggested too. The head gasket is fine, that much I do know. :-)

Reply to
gazzafield

Manifold air leak??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from gazzafield contains these words:

Or at least - it was earlier!

Reply to
Guy King

If it was especially cold, K-series are a bit lumpy to begin with due to self adjusting tappets. Is it ok once it warms up?

You could get one of those 'emission control' jobs done at a Rover garage. They cost about £25 and clean all the jets out etc. I think it's an additive into the tanks and it runs through as you rung the car for the first fe miles after having it done. My 214SEi felt loads better after I'd had it done.

Cheers Paul

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko...

Reply to
Paul

It's worth checking inside the distributor cap, this engine sometimes gets running problems caused by damp inside the cap.

Reply to
Stu

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko...

rotor arm is common problem, and very cheap to change, but I would suspect that the vacuum pipe to the ecu has fallen off or snapped off at the ecu, or has a crack in it

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That was my thoughts on the way to work as I juddered and spluttered the first few miles. The car wasn't much better.

Reply to
gazzafield

I was just about to PS with this point- K series are known for defective rotor arms as well as caps- Rover updated the rotor arm to cure this.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I thought I would post further details and see if anyone can come with more suggestions.

On starting up it is very "lumpy" - for want of a better word - and smells very strongly of petrol. Until the gauge reaches normal running temperature there is next to no power under approx 2500rpm. It has to be revved quite hard.

As it it warms up, when slowing down the engine does return to a normal tickover speed slightly quicker but nothing like as quickly as it should. When warm it drives reasonably well but still has a little "lumpiness" when driving at 30mph in fourth.

I have changed the rotor arm and plugs and give the engine flush and oil change as a sticky tappet had been suggested. No change really. I have checked all the vacuum pipes I can find and did find one with a lsight split so that was changed too.

I am starting to suspect a sensor but don't which one to go for!

Reply to
gazzafield