Saab 900 - hazard lights, dash lights...problems?

Hello,

Just taken a 1990 Saab 900 in p/x as part of a trade for another car... Anyhow, I've noticed a couple of things about it I'd like help with if possible:

No dash lights and no hazard lights working. The interior light is missing also (empty space in the roof. Also the indicators didn't work for a short spell and now they're back.

I haven't even looked for the fusebox on this car yet - I'm guessing I have a blown fuse or three and maybe a bad earth or two and possibly a dodgy flasher relay. All needs to be investigated.

My question is, before I start, is there a common problem area on these cars where I should start? (Found out on this ng in the past that a problem I've had has already been had by someone else.)

TIA Sean

Reply to
Sean

Not really a common problem - quite unusual. Interior wiring is very good on 900s. I think it's likely someone's been messing around with it.

Check fuses first. Fusebox is under bonnet, passenger side, near the windscreen. Dash lights can fail due to a failed rheostat (controls dash brightness). If you have indicators but no hazards I'd say the hazard switch is a likely cause.

Reply to
Grunff

Will do Grunff. Good point about the possibly failed rheostat. It does the whole dash, right, not just the dials?

Reply to
Sean

It does the dials and the main dash bulbs - the ones that illuminate the controls. Easy enough to test, just short it out!

Reply to
Grunff

Sean ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No indicators, hazards, and the interior light out?

I wonder whether there's been a badly fitted alarm badly removed... Does the horn work?

Reply to
Adrian

Dunno, haven't tried the horn. Did play about with the hazard switch though and have established that it occassionally makes the relay 'stick' causing the indicators to stop working. So, I suspect the hazard switch itself is faulty.

Didn't get as far as getting at the rheostat, though checked all fuses and all is okay there (changed fuses for known good ones).

Thanks again.

Reply to
Sean