Smoky old Passat Diesel Turbo.

Chaps,

I've bought a 1989 Passat DT Estate to lug a lot of stuff about cheap. It runs perfectly, uses a tiny bit of oil but did 53mpg up to manchester and back at 80+. The only thing that I'm miffed about is the amount of smoke it chucks out when accelerating on anything more than 1/2 throttle, in any gear. It pulls well, doesn't use much oil so is this smoke common of VW engines? The BX n/a diesel I used to drive smoked a little, but not like this. It's got new injectors, air/oil/fuel filter and all the breathers have been cleaned. Is it normal? It's not thick smoke, but is very visible.

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Overfuelling. Check the boost pressure.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its over fuelling- check the max fuel screw for signs of tampering. and then wind it in a 1/2 a turn and road test / smoke meter it.

You say it pulls well so its obviously got somewhere near the right amount of boost from the turbo, but if you were feeling brave you could up the boost abit to match the seemingly excess fuel its got at the moment to reduce the smoke.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

The on boost fueling might want adjusted too...

I'd think about getting your injectors cleaned, that will make the car quieter and more economical too.

-- James

Reply to
James

OP states that the vehicle has new injectors, so I dont think cleaning is necessary/beneficial.

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt