Sodding modern cars.

All I wanted to do was change a headlight bulb on my Mondeo but it=20 seems that I have to take apart the front of the car. I had to remove=20 the grille and then take the whole sodding headlight unit out. The only=20 saving grace is that Ford had the forethought to make it a tool free=20 process although I suspect it's something "Average Joe" would get a=20 main dealer to do at =A350+ a pop.

I did that then went to pick up a new bulb in my 21 year old Capri that=20 has plenty of access room and a pop off cover as my Mondeo stood=20 outside my house sans grille and headlight.

Bit s**te really.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Join the club. It took me two hours to replace a headlamp bulb on a Fiat Stilo.

It's now normal for it to be next to impossible to do simple things. The dealers can't do it any easier.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I feel your pain. Could you tell me is that the MK1 or Mk2 Mondeo as it will influence my next car purchase. I am hoping its the MK3 that is so awkward, as I'm not in the market for one of those. My Sierra is a oh so easy to change a headlamp bulb (as many on here probably know). Just a plastic cover that easily twists off to reveal the back of the bulb and a spring clip that holds the bulb in place. You can swap it in under a minute. The indicator unit is even easier with a spring clip that has a very convenient loop on one end to use as a handle. Pull the spring and the whole assembly slides out through the front. Back lights are even easier.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I did that then went to pick up a new bulb in my 21 year old Capri that has plenty of access room and a pop off cover as my Mondeo stood outside my house sans grille and headlight.

Bit s**te really.

to be honest i think its one of fords better ideas, grille pops off, 2 clips & bobs your uncle. jobs a good 'un, compared to some of the bulbs ive had to change on various vehicles, on some your lucky not to come away needing a skin graft after you've ripped your hand to shreds trying to get the fecking bulb out & then back in only to find the new bulb is duff !!!!!

Reply to
reg

I did that then went to pick up a new bulb in my 21 year old Capri that has plenty of access room and a pop off cover as my Mondeo stood outside my house sans grille and headlight.

Bit s**te really.

Had a similar problem on a mk4 golf, bumper had to come off. I could do one side which was a squeeze and ripped up my hand the other side was impossible. I thought about taking it to h alfords and use there fitting service they rejected it :)

Reply to
James

It's a MK3 Mondeo. The MK2 is a similar rigmarole. To be fair, it's not too bad to remove it but it just seems so unnecessary. On the MK3 it's two plastic twisty things to remove the grill then two metal locking strips at either side of the unit which you pull out vertically and then the lot just pops out.

Reply to
Conor

They compact everything now. Old cars I've had took me 10 seconds to change a bulb. On the nk4 golf took me 30 mins, bumper off, new bulb in, bumper on. Bugger to get at. Theres torx screws in the arch well need taking off, 2 hidden on the lower vents etc etc. My neighbours thought I lost the plot whilst laughing!

Reply to
James

Hope you didn't try carrying passengers in the back of the Capri. Or, perish the thought, have an accident in it. Then you'd realise why access for some things in the likes of a Mondeo is poor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So much more needs to fit into an engine these days...air conditioning, power steering, immobilisers etc etc. It's no wonder that access becomes more and more involved.

Reply to
Hooch

More than that - the front area has to be a crumple zone for occupant protection in event of an accident. Laws also about injury to pedestrians etc determine the front end design. All of which might influence the ease of changing a headlight bulb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

James ("James" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Buy a 2cv. Don't even need to open the bonnet. Press clip on top of light, remove reflector, unclip bulb, bish-bash-bosh.

Reply to
Adrian

Dave Plowman (News) ("Dave Plowman (News)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, because - of course - it's impact laws which put airflow meters or batteries or ECU boxes or washer bottles a quarter of an inch away from the cover over the bulbs. That'll be it.

Reply to
Adrian

Then replace the wing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An airflow meter has to be towards the front somewhere - you don't want extra trunking for no good reason. Can you see an alternative position for the battery or washer bottle etc under the bonnet which would allow easier access for bulb changing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ("Dave Plowman (News)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, because there's three quarters of a ton of s**te in there which never used to be. Like aircon compressors and condensers, electric power steering pumps, etc. etc. etc.

Reply to
Adrian

Fairy nuff. But you don't *have* to buy a car with AC. It's not a standard fitment on all. However, most would put up with some inconvenience to change a headlight bulb in exchange for its benefits. As to power steering - have you ever driven a Mondeo size FWD car without it? I have. Not something you'd choose to do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So much more needs to fit into an engine these days...air conditioning, power steering, immobilisers etc etc. It's no wonder that access becomes more and more involved.

Tell me about it. I was looking into the bay of a relatively new Audi TT of a friend and well thats what I called squished!

Reply to
James

Dave Plowman (News) ("Dave Plowman (News)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm thinking of stuff like the Stilo mentioned earlier.

Funnily enough, a mate was changing the RH dip beam bulb on a diesel aircon Stilo last week. It only took him about 3/4 hr - the "easy way" is going in through the wheel arch liner. The LH would have been MUCH worse.

Reply to
Adrian

A bit like the Halfords ad where the guy pops the bulb in from the front.

Reply to
Robert McDonald

and IME have the local scallies piss about with your headlights all the time at night, leaving them dangling on the wires, or even stealing them altogether!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P