Swapped Tyres/wheels around and lost grip!

HI group!

More an open discussion than something I'm looking for an answer with.

I have just swapped my tyres on my car around front to back, due to the fact the backs had done around 50K and were showing little sign of being more than half worn, but had started to crack... not badly but enough.

After I had a new set of fronts fitted as the others were knackered I thought id put them on the back and use the older tyres at the front.

Immediately I noticed that the was heavier to steer and pulled to the right, so I called in to Tosco and blew them both up to 32PSI.

A little better, but still has a gentle pull to the right and is heavier... Despite the new tyres that was on the front only being blown up to 29PSI.

Added to that the grip is now s**te.... it never was great before, but its worse now..... I slid thru some traffic lights last night and around corners, it spins up easy too...

So today I was thinking of spinning them on the dry to see if I could wear a top layer off them, see if that will bring them back to life?

Or are they just soo hard a compound they have no grip..... but will last

100k on the back???

BTW they are Michelins......

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So... Good tyres on front, s**te on back - all well. Shite tyres on front, good on back - undrivable.

Hmmm. Don't all the tyre manufacturers and fitting chains always say to put the new tyres on the back and the old ones on the front for "safety reasons"?

Surely they couldn't be over-generalising and talking bollocks, could they?

No. They're dead. Sling 'em, and put decent tyres all round.

What car, btw?

Reply to
Adrian

Well No ill just put up with it,, im way to mean to sling them!

Corsa old shape...... as I said not the best handling car ever!

Always wondered why I managed to spin it a few times! and get the tail out on certain corners!

Reply to
Tom Burton

Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is usenet full of eejits with no common sense tonight?

A pair of half-decent tyres for a Corsa aren't going to be expensive - far cheaper than hitting something on a wet roundabout.

Reply to
Adrian

Could always just put them back on the back!

Where they have been quite happy for the past 50k

Reply to
Tom Burton

Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And reverse into the barrier/kerb when you have to avoid somebody on a wet roundabout.

How much do those two tyres owe you now? Surely they deserve a decent retirement?

Reply to
Adrian

Well thankyou very much. I'm sure the pedestrian/other car you slam into at a junction next time its wet will appreciate the fact you save £60 on a pair of tyres.

Reply to
Conor

perhaps the pedestrian should use the green cross code before stepping into a road!!!!!!

Reply to
Neil B

PLease don't tell me you're so stupid that you can't think of any other circumstance where the ability to stop would be important.

Reply to
Conor

By your own admission they really are not fit to use at either end.

This is what happens on FWD when the fronts are replaced instead of moving the rears to the front and putting the new tyres on the back. The rear tyres get so old they become lethal. Don't know if the insurance firms have wised up yet but I could see them wriggling out of paying up full wack on grounds of negligence if they find tyres much over 5 years old on a car.

Peter Hill

stuff the pedestrian, god give them eyes. and yes, stopping is a good thing.

Reply to
Neil B

So if a pedestrian crossing at a Pedestrian Crossing with the lights on red to stop traffic is hit by our tight fisted friend then its the pedestrians fault?

Reply to
Conor

Yep Fair does, I didn't think they was in such a poor state to warrant replacement, I asked the MOT guy about them and he said they looked fine, and the cracking wasn't enough to even warrant an advisory.

Looked at the spare, and that's no worse (one of them near the side puncture repairs and getting pretty worn/old), so I shall retire one of the two fronts to the spare, and the spare to the bin.

Today I had a ring around our local (not necessarily friendly tyre dealers)

Got a set the same as what was now on the front from Ford main-dealer of all places,

Strangely I went to ATS them being the cheapest a few weeks ago, and they denied all knowledge of selling the other two tyres until I produced the receipt and suddenly they are £30 more...

Anyways I have ordered two from Ford and they will be on by Wednesday.

Thanks for replies...

Even the f****it ones

Reply to
Tom Burton

Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Isn't it odd how all the posts telling people facts they don't want to hear seem to be attracting a "shoot the messenger if you don't like the message" attitude today? There's this guy, then there's "CircusGames" with his 12-miles-on-a-flat-tyre...

Reply to
Adrian

Can you post the make / size and price please?

Reply to
Mill Autos

Of the top of my head they was 165/70 R13? if that is correct

The brand ATS fitted a couple of weeks back was Euromaster or Euro somthing ( when i went back i was point at the tyre on the car)

Ford offered me Pirrelli [sp?] Armstrongs??? or some such for about £50 fitted balanced and valved.

Reason I would have liked the Euromasters was that they lasted well on the front before and gave good all round grip.... Considering the car isn't any sports car :)

Reply to
Tom Burton

Ask yourself how much of what you said you would have said to someone in person...

Its not what you said or say, its how you say it.

It was intended as a point of discussion, which led to me now believing the tyres to be, not unsafe, just how shall we say, past the optimum.

Mr Hill made his point rather more politely and I dare say slightly more eloquently, hence my response.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

IMO, partially.

I _always_ make sure that the cars are stopped before using a pedestrian crossing.

You can guaranteed that one day, someone won't stop (like the elderly woman who almost ran me over on a zebra crossing. I don't even think she saw me)

Today for example, half a dozen people "didn't see me". I had 4 cars pull out _right_ in front of me (without looking, because I saw them, and watched the drivers, and at no point did they even bother to see if the road was clear). I had one elderly woman run out into the road right in front of me (she assumed that she was OK to cross the road after the car before me, without checking to see if there was anyone else). Again, fortunately for her, I was paying attention. Finally, while reversing into a parking space in Tesco, an oaf in a 4x4 drove into the space from the other side, stopping me from parking.

I think my next car will be dayglo pink, with flashing lights on it.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Tom Burton ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Erm, actually - I'd have said the same to you in person.

I read your original , and how a pair of tyres which had been fine on the back (although it later came out that you'd managed to actually SPIN your nice safe understeery fwd Corsa on several occasions) suddenly had no grip whatsoever on the front.

For the sake of brevity and understanding, I condensed that to -

"Good tyres on front, s**te on back - all well." "Shite tyres on front, good on back - undrivable."

Which is what you said - the car had driven fine with this s**te tyres on the back, but when you moved them to the front, the car was undrivable.

Your reply was that the tyres were fine, and had been fine for 50k miles, and you were going to put up with them, because you were "way to mean to sling them!" - despite them having been proven to lead directly to unpredictable handling and potential accident situations.

To me, that attitude makes you dangerously irresponsible.

And I'd tell you that to your face.

A tyre that causes a small fwd hatch to unpredictably spin is unsafe. Not because of design or manufacture, but because of aging in this case.

With them on your car, your car is unsafe.

I don't want to share the road with unsafe cars.

Reply to
Adrian

If you are talking £50 for a pair then that is a good price for pirelli and not too bad for a budget. If you are talking £50 per tyre then you have been stiched big time! Our dearest tyre is Michelin @ £38 inc everything

Reply to
Mill Autos