Swarfega as a handwash

I am not sure what Swarfega is called in the US but in the UK it is a hand cleanser for dirt from activities like fixing your car.

It contains:

Aqua Trideceth-8 C9-C16 Alkanes/Cycloalkanes 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol Dipropylene Glycol Ethylparaben Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile Perfume Sodium Carbomer Tetrasodium EDTA

See

I have thought of using it as a gentle hand cleaner instead of the liquid detergents usually based on sodium laureth sulfate which normally make my hands go very dry.

Does anyone see any disadvantages (apart from cost) to doing this?

Reply to
Svend Cr

Well I use it virtually every day with no problems that I'm aware of.

Reply to
Doug

The message from Svend Cr contains these words:

Smells horrid?

I prefer Comma Manista, but I'd have to ferret about under the sink to see what's in it.

Or google..

Ingredient 1: ALCOHOL ETHOXYLATE/COCONUT DIETHANOLAMIDE

Reply to
Guy King

It's deodorized kerosene, detergent, gellants, and preservatives. Try something lanolin-based less the nasty preservatives.

-- Uncle Al

Uncle Al

Well it tends to make my hands go dry but E45 solves this(it's paranoid but diesel contact dermatitis is painfull)

Reply to
DuncanWood

I quite like fast orange with pumice.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The smell doesn't bother me, with the advantage that in the bigger drums it's cheap. Despite that, I too use Manista. Her indoors insists. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

Rubber gloves. About £3/100. I get through dozens of 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

I've found that if I don't wear gloves the grime gets ingrained and even with a good scrubbing won't come out[1] for ages - during which time I'm not allowed inside the wifely perimeter.

[1] Unless I make bread, of course. Nothing like kneading dough to get dirt out of skin pores. Provided the guests don't know it's not likely to do 'em any great harm.
Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Vin" contains these words:

Can't stand the stuff! Apart from not working very well, I like being able to rip off the gloves and have clean hands in seconds. OK, so my forearms might need a wash...

If I need to do something clean for a few moments, having to wash up with barrier cream then reapply it after is boring.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

So long as you aren't allergic to latex (lots of nurses are, apparently).

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from Steve Walker contains these words:

There's always vinyl, but I'm lucky and fine with latex.

Reply to
Guy King

Gloves can be a pain. Far better is to get yourself a tub of barrier cream. There are two types available. One for dry work and one for oily/greasy work. Best get the latter as it serves for both. Use it before starting and the Swarfega after and those dirty paws should be a thing of the past. I don't know if Halfords or the like stock it but a quick web search should throw up a supplier.

Vin

Reply to
Vin

Latex free £4.40 /100

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In my biking days, I used margarine and washing up liquid to wash my hands after delving into oily bits. Grab a lump of marge and make washing your hands motions with it, grab the bottle of fairy liquid, squirt it over the marge covered hands and do the same. Then put your hands under the tap and wash the lot off. Worked for me. Not so popular a technique now I'm married tho.......:)

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Or you could try "Lava" from the makers of WD40, it's a heavy duty hand cleaner with moisturisers. It uses pumice particles, and smells like normal soap. see

There is also a data sheet for it at
I use it sometimes, but I tend to wear gloves. Shane

Reply to
shane

Washing off oily gunge is SIMPLE!!!

1 Never get it wet first! 2 Use neat detergent... Squeezy, or whatever. 3 Rub in WELL.and SCRUB with nail brush. DO NOT GET IT WET! 4 DO IT AGAIN! And again, as required... 5 Add some fine sand. 6 RUB IN WELL! 6.5 Start from 3, AND 6 AGAIN... 7 At no time get it wet! Water stops the detergent getting the oil to "disolve/mix with the detergent. 8 IF you are SURE that the oil is all mixed with the detergent, and not stuck to your skin any longer, then BEGIN to rinse GRADUALLY, while scrubbing.

Your hands and nails will be so clean that wifey (of bird) will not have perimeters......

Its an understanding of what you are doing that gets it clean.

OIL dissolves in NEAT DETERGENT. Water stops it.

Reply to
Burgerman

In a similar vein I often use a generous splash of cooking oil to dissolve the grease on my hands before attacking it with detergent. Makes it all liquid and much easier to wash off.

That said, if I remember, I`ll grab a pair of gloves. Theres not much worse than hopping around in front of a sink with your hands in running water when you`re busting for a pee

Reply to
gribblechips

The message from "Burgerman" contains these words:

Trouble is - the texture of the skin on the sides of my fingers is such that once the dirt gets in there, only time and ablation will remove it.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Burgerman" contains these words:

Like I said - ablation.

Reply to
Guy King