Swarfega as a handwash

or sandpaper?

Reply to
Burgerman

a what!???

Reply to
Burgerman

Sodium laureth sulfate, and other detergents, can damage your skin by removing essential oils. I once had to see a dermatologist with a rash. When she found out that I was using pure Ivory soap, she recognized my problem. A pure detergent doesn't have additives to protect replenish the skin oils.

Most mechanics' hand cleaners in the US include pumice or the like to really scrub the dirt off.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

The message from "Burgerman" contains these words:

ablate, verb.transitive senses : to remove especially by cutting, abrading, or evaporating

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Marvin Margoshes" contains these words:

That's what hand-cream is for. If you're not allergic to it, lanolin's hard to beat.

Reply to
Guy King

Al, wouldn't lanolin be prone to goes rancid and therefore also need "nasty" preservatives?

Reply to
Svend Cr

Depends on how much you make, at what temp you formulate (sterilization), how long you keep it. Lanolin on sheep sticks around. Adding some antioxidant (Vitamin E, BHT, Vitamin C long chain ester, etc.) is fairly harmless to delay peroxidation and rancidity. The stuffs above are somewhat nasty biocides. One anticipates those are less harmless. Paraben is also a biocide, but it has an excellent safety history.

However... methyl paraben has been cited as a sex pheromone for male dogs. Could get sloppy.

-- Uncle Al

Uncle Al

Gloves are much better than barrier creams (dry & wet use) especially the tight fitting surgical type, in that should you get a cut, you take off the glove and the wound is clean without having rush to the sink to wash it.

If you find them hard to put on then put a little talcom powder inside the glove.

Fatsaod.

Reply to
FatSod

Aqua

  • Water

Trideceth-8

  • An ethoxylate of a C13 alcohol used because:
1/ The 8 ethoxy gives (in this case) an HLB matched to the solvents below, 2/ C13 is less aggressive to the skin than the more common and cheaper C12 hydrophobe.

C9-C16 Alkanes/Cycloalkanes *The solvent(s) consisting of iso,linear and cyclic paraffins, known for their low odour.

2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol Dipropylene Glycol Ethylparaben Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile *Antioxidants/disinfectant/antibacterial....

Perfume

Sodium Carbomer (Na CarboxymethylCellulose)

  • Thickener and air-stabilizing film former.

Tetrasodium EDTA

  • Sequestrant to ensure stability.

Reply to
Peter Jason

On 07-Aug-04 15:38:10, Guy King said

Is that like the type of armour that ship in DS9 had? ;)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Svend Cr saying something like:

It tastes horrible in tea.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Also worth a try is your preferred liquid hand cleaner and a half teaspoon of sugar...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

"Svend Cr" skrev i en meddelelse news:953DB2DE1D0E4471AE@127.0.0.1...

Lots of people get allergic-like reactions from Swarfega. Leave out the toxic **** :)

Reply to
*sigh*

That may be true today; however, I was a Oldsmobile mechanic back in the mid to late 70's and we used something very similar to what he describes. It was a white, gelatinous substance that used to melt in your hands and take the grease and grime with it. Worked almost a good as transmission fluid, but did not dry out your hands.

Dr. Dickie Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438 Poking kooks with a pointy stick ==================================== "Let be be finale of seem. The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream" Wallace Stevens-1923 =====================================

Reply to
Dr. Dickie

Different regions seem to have their favorite local brands of such hand cleaners. A few others are "Fast Orange" (with or without pumice), "GoJo" (with or w/o pumice) and "DL Hand Cleaner".

Larry Lippman (RIP) used to post regularly to sci.chem and would tell of his days working in his father's company making "DL Hand Cleaner". "DL" was "David Lippman"! "DL" was in the upstate New York. I don't know if they still exist as a company or a brand.

In the US, all the Wal-Marts, K-Marts, etc. seem to stock a few brands. Your local auto parts store or even specialty mechanic stores have more choices.

There are even some variations that are meant to used on hands AND clothing, floors, etc. ("Stain Away" or something like that.)

[...]

I used to use it every day to degrease myself and don't recall any problems except for the feeling of a residue that I'd wash off with regular soap and water anyway. To get all the stuff off w/o a soap wash I'd need a lot of clean dry sturdy towels. Something else to add to your budget.

Reply to
No Soap Radio

This stuff is generically known as "waterless hand soap." It's basically a gelled kerosene fraction, sort of like napalm except less flammable. And it works great.

Steve Turner

Reply to
Steve Turner

Hi Guy

I've shagged her!!

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Adding a spoonful of sugar to the marge/w-up liquid mix helps too, to loosen ground-in stuff.

Reply to
Andy Clews

========== Use olive oil or other cooking oil to dissolve the grime and dirt before washing normally.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I use washing-up liquid mixed with soap powder - works a treat.

I tried using rubber gloves but find that they split all the time.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors