Tyres maked "inside and outside"

Why?

There are no rotation markings.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Which ones, A008s have a very different outer shoulder to inner shoulder.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'll have a look in the morning. I asked for two second hand rims from the scrap yard and they arrived today with these inside/outside labelled and well worn illegal tyres on them.

I wanted the rims not the rubber so for £10 I am happy but curious.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The tread pattern is asymetric, but not directional.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

may have a kerb rubber

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Good point.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

With asymmetric tyres (an inside and an outside), there's something different about the tread, tyre structure or the rubber compound between inside and outside parts.

Tyres with rotation markings are directional. If directional tyres were asymmetric as well, you'd need different tyres for left and right sides of the car.

An asmetrical tyre is often harder-wearing on the outside part of the tread. The old Michelin XAS had more rubber there, so the outside had a chance of not wearing out first. It was the first mass-market asymmetric tyre - in the 70s IIRC.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

And if they're directional, asymmetric and different sizes front and rear like many top end sports cars you need four different tyres.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Which is why they have no spare wheel !

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I went out with a girl once who had C+A on her knickers. She thought it told her what way round to put them on.

Reply to
Spasticus Autisticus

If there is no other reason for a tyre to be "handed" then it will almost certainly have kerb rubbers on both sides. To do otherwise would create a fitting issue which no doubt many tyre fitters would fail to spot and which would then create an MOT fail for absolutely no real reason because the kerb rubber isn't a safety issue.

Only if a tyre is either asymmetric or directional would it then be sensible to have the kerb rubber on only one side.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The strange thing is that tyres with kerb rubbers DID only have them on one side. Maybe there would be a problem with an inside edge kerb rubber fouling a/r bars or similar. I have not seen them for many years, so they are probably just for the classic market if they still exist.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Michelin Pilot Exalto currently have kerb protection rubbers on bth sides I've used them in 45 and 50 aspect ratio recently so hardly classic market.

Reply to
The Other Mike

oh, well, just goes to show. The last ones I had were on my Zephyr 6 in the mid 70's.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I had a Zephyr 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Colum change and big bench seat?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

On its umpteenth block and gearbox with only the rust holding it all together? The anti roll bar ripped itself off the chassis on my one.

Reply to
Spasticus Autisticus

Is the back seat any reflection on your addie - Mr Pounder?

Reply to
Rob

It did when I got it !! I installed a Jaguar 3.4 with floor change manual box, so I had to install two front seats (possibly from a Mk4 Zodiac (I am not sure now) The handbrake was the big problem as I had to remove acres of bulkhead and dash so the umbrella handle affair had to go. I used a commer van handle on the right and made a strange agricultural linkage that went underneath , worked enough for the mot. !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

mine was OK rust wise and at the time was only ten years old, I only changed the engine to fit a larger one. We had several of them as hire cars and they were better than most on reliability.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

the bench seat was in the front as well, which meant you could take 5 passengers with ease.

Reply to
Mrcheerful