UK Carina E 96 - Distributor oil leak.

My father phoned me today to ask about his Carina E. The place he gets it serviced has told him the distributor needs changing as it is leaking. Quoted £220 + £70 labor! I think I could just about undo the two screws holding the cap on and the one(two?) bolts holding it on the end of the cam box, put a replacement on and time it up in about 1/2 hour so thats like £140/hr.

What's the price for a recon distributor? A brief look as not turned up any online and all breakers seem to opperate on a 'tell us what you want basis'.

Stripped one I had lying around off a old 84 Celica (side mount type always had a slight weep at head from distributor) has a drain hole at low side of base. Internals except main shaft came out easy but I would not be able get the drive pinion off easily as it is held by a riveted pin. How is the drive dog held on the new inline ones? Are they rebuildable? Assuming it's not a gusher does it really need replacing?

Peter Hill

Hello,

If I'm not mistaken, there should be an oil seal (o-ring) on the shaft of the dizzy.

Just seems like a typical garage here in the States: "Whoops, there's no spark, the ECU or engine needs to be replaced."

Is there a US version of the Carina E?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

Basically an upscale Corrola. The Carina/Corona was replaced by the Avensis a few years back.

I had one with the 1.8 7AFE motor, got about 45mpg+ out of that thing.

Reply to
jb