US version of our scrapage scheme

In trouble.

Interesting that the scraped 'clunkers' have to have the engines put down with a lethal injection of sodium silicate.

""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull and crossbones over the profile of a car."

Too cruel.

Reply to
Adrian C

IMO the car scrappage schemes in both the UK and the USA have less to do with environmental protection, than with protecting the car manufacturing industry. On the grounds of environmental protection, the figures simply do not add up. Mike. .

Reply to
Miike G

The fact that it was car manufacturers and not environmental groups who campaigned for the introduction of such schemes might have been a slight clue.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yep , not just the car industry though , as the money circulating helps keep the wider economy moving.

The US version does have more of an environmental focus than the UK one , though I'm sure that there *is* a significant shift in the public mind towards a more "green" lifestyle. Whether this is done for economic or environmental reasons is open to debate.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

No doubt you have seen the report from Germany:

reveals 50,000 cars handed over under the scrappage scheme have in factbeen surreptiously exported to Africa for further use. It represents about10% of the total according to the report. I don't know why the authorities are making such a fuss about it since the purpose of the scheme is to remove the vehicles from German roads, replacing them with new ones, and that is still happening when the vehicles are exported out of Europe.

It would be of concern on environmental grounds, but I didn't think such concerns applied in Europe vs Africa. Why shouldn't Africans have affordable cars?

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

Environment concerns cover the world. It's not just confined to europe. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G