Vectra rear suspension shox replacment?

Guys, Got the front shox and springs replaced and they are so much better it's shown up a slight knock in the rear (the broken front springs covered it up before!). So I investigated. On removing the rear wheels I wiggled the shox and I think there is a bit of play at the top somewhere. The anti-roll bar and bushes is fine (my first thought of the location of the knock). After

110k they probably need a change anyway!

I am not used to these new fangled front wheel drive cars and rear suspension which looks like miniature front struts! I can't seem to find the top nut in the boot which will release the shox assembly! I can see the big bolt at the bottom but the top part just disappears into a box section and there seems to be no connection in the boot! Any pointers?

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

the noise at the back is usually the bush at the front of the rear suspension arm where it meets the body, 17.50 each and not too easy for the home mechanic to change.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Is that the large subframe type piece of metal with four doughnut type bushes bolted into it and up into the body?

Reply to
Will Reeve

no, those are on the front crossmember.

each rear suspension arm has a large metal and rubber bush where it meets the car body, it is recessed and difficult to inspect, but breaks up and causes noise and movement. to test it jack up that rear wheel and make sure it is very safe, then pull and push the wheel assembly back and forward, any play will be apparent. though sometimes they can be noisy without play!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful