Visit a garage end up without brakes...

My Scirocco passed it's mot a few weeks ago with just an advisory on the front dampers. Thought fair enough and as I didn't have the time or patience to do them myself I told them I'd bring it back and they could do them.

I've moved house nearer work so have no idea what garages are any good locally.

Anyway, fitted them and the car was back to handling how it should.

Was on the way home tonight via a trip to the shopping centre, off the M1 stopped at the lights, set off again in traffic, fxxx me brake pedal to the floor. Shit a stick so to speak...

Stopped well sort of round the corner in a factory entrance that I knew was there thankfully.

Brake fluid pissing all over inner arch of drivers side of car, all over tyre etc.

Took wheel off (how many notches on the air rachet sir - all the way, bastards nearly killed me getting those loose). Had to sacrifice my t-shirt as my tools etc are at home as per bloody usual so I could wipe some of the messy off to have a look. No bloody torch either.

Found out the rubber washer the brake line passes through was loose and hanging about so had rubbed on the wheel/brakedisc until it wore through resulting in a lack of fluid and a big stick in my pants. There's no way it came off on it's own as I had to bang it hard to get it back on and there's no reason for it to come off anyway on it's own.

AA towed me to the garage and I've left it blocking their shutter doors.

Do I throw a right strop with them in the morning ?? ;-)

If it had gone seconds earlier I'd have been tanking down the sliproad at 70 towards three lanes of queuing of traffic at the red lights...

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

See if they're going to fix it for free. If not start strop with the liberal use of phrases borrowed from trading standards & solicitors

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Now calm down, anyone can make a mistake. After all, there's no harm done is there. I presume that your dual circuit brakes worked.

John (Ducks and runs away)

Reply to
John Manders

There could've been a shitload of harm done if he'd not had the presence of mind to remember the factory entrance. Dual circuit brakes only work well if the fluid reservoir is divided into two which alot aren't.

Reply to
Conor Turton

I've got it back this afternoon all fixed and working again having had a look at it on the ramps I can see why it happened and it's partly due to my current parking arrangements and partly them taking the hose off previously.

Until I get my drive fixed it takes full lock to get in because of where the stupid neighbour parks his van, he's a drive but leaves it on the road opposite my drive miserable git so I have to virtually bounce my car off his van on full lock to avoid the gateposts on my drive.

This has strained the hose leading to it coming out of it's holder and rubbing on the wheel. There are two rubbers on the hose to prevent it rubbing but they were in the wrong place when it came out. I'm going to take both wheels off asap and add some other method to hold them on just in case.

They did it for free anyway after some discussion of who was to blame and the consequences of any legal malarky.

There was some braking but not enough to stop the car anyway near safely on the highway.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

You got a good outcome there. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the brake lines be able to cope with full lock? After all it isn't outside the spec of the car. Where I have to park in the streets in Brissle I have to use full lock most days to get in and out so you've started to get me worried now.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Got me concerned too, so did Conor. Full lock should not pull brake hoses out of their fixings surely. Conor, are you sure that some master cylinder reservoirs are not split? That seems to make twin circuit brakes pointless. All the master cylinder reservoirs I have seen have been split but I don't get to see that many. I would like to hear others experiences here. Thanks

John

Reply to
John Manders

There are two rubber doughnuts on the brake lines and they appear to be there to prevent anything rubbing against the hose itself. I was thinking that it might be the hoses are not flexible enough due to "old age" or unuse. The car is a 1986/7 Scirocco but has only done

41,000 miles?

Still think part of it was down to them taking the hoses off while doing the suspension a few weeks before.

There was some slight braking effect but the pedal was still on the floor which in itself is a heart in your mouth feeling. There's the handbrake, engine braking but when your a few feet from another car I was more surprised the pedal was down without doing anything. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.