Renault "keyless" system

Hi all,

A friend of mine has just bought a newish Laguna. He's very impressed with the sheer volume of techno-toys it has, but one is pissing him off a bit. It's the vast plastic card thing that's taken the place of the key, but seems to offer no advantage over old-fashioned keys at-all.

I think I remember some TV program back when the feature appeared, claiming that this was a cut-down system to satisfy UK regulations and that, on cars sold abroad, the card could stay in your pocket rather than having to be slotted into the dash, and would even unlock the doors as you walked up to the car.

Were they on the right track? and, if so, is there any way to convert the car to the intended setup?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

No, the receiver unit on the car for the purposes of the immobilizer has no capability to power up the ignition system without the key in the slot.

Tell you mate to keep a spare keycard at home and alternate the two from time to time- if you use the one constantly, the car often 'forgets' about the second rendering it useless and needing a trip to Mr Renault to 're-align' it with the car.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Nissan Micras had this afeature briefly, it was really irritating when you got out the car 7 then couldn't remember where you'd put the fob.

Reply to
Duncanwood

AFAIK the SE and upwards still do. It's fairly pointless as you still have to turn a knob which replaces the ignition keyhole and feels just the same as turning a key. No "engine start" button or anything.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

You can get renaults which do both of the above

Proximity unlocking is fine as long as you don't park the car close to where you keep the keys,

Proximity starting only works if the key is in the interior, (only two vehicles on the fleet do that so I think it is pretty rare).

I don't know if you can set it up or it only comes with the high spec models/pre-set at the factory.

Reply to
screamin

Sorry, forgot to mention proximity sensing models have a small sun logo on the remote. To activate proximity opening you need to pull a handle twice.

Reply to
screamin

And dont mess with this , even if it can be setup as intended , something like this will invalidate insurance if stolen

Reply to
Big Brian

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like he's stuck with it as it is then. I think he's coming to terms with it a bit more now - apparently he's bought a Renault "accessory" that converts the card into a huge key-ring!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

French and their electronics eh? It'll go wrong and be awfully expensive.

Reply to
gazzafield