Latest threads in Car Maintenanceshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Flooded Cars?..
Seeing a great number of cars in water recently, some just up to the sills some to the roof bars. IN this day of lots of electronics in cars what are the chances of them working again, or are they all...
28
28

Glow plug timer relay
This seems to be misbehaving on my ATV (this has a 3 cylinder diesel, badged Caterpillar but presumably Japanese, and has a "glow plug on" light). From a quick eBay, I can get one for a Freelander for...
4
4

PowerLite starter motor.
Anyone had one of these apart? They're aftermarket types often used to replace early series wound Lucas types. They use a Jap permanent magnet high speed motor with reduction gearing, so rather kinder...
11
11

'Piggyback' Fuses
Hi all, Anyone know if there's such a thing that you can plug into an existing blade-type fuse slot that enables you to easily draw two +12V supplies rather than just the one? I need to run a webcam...
2
2

Cat thief crushed by car
Oh dear. Is this an example of schadenfreude ?

Electric cars and low loaders
There was an odd comment in the Times a couple of days ago (on the dangers of ?smart? motorways) about how electric cars can?t coast as far as normal cars in the event of a breakdown (to potentially...
3
3

MOT's cancelled in NI!!
2
2

Picasso 2004 2.0 hdi, high miles
What oil spec should I go for? I?m in france, so summers can get pr etty hot, but the motor doesn?t do long or hard trips. 10/40?
1
1

Brake caliper/pad "retaining" clips
I've just replaced the front discs and pads on my wife's 20-year-old Ford Puma, and I have a query about the so called retaining clips. They are made of highly tempered steel wire and the free ends...
16
16

Toyota Aygo- Opinions?
We are considering replacing our Smart Car. One of the options is the Toyota Aygo. We hired one some years back and quite liked it. We popped into a local dealer yesterday and the current model (a...
16
16

Tyre noise question.
Whilst driving up a bit of dual carriageway today I was taking notice of the tyre noise as I moved on and off different surfaces and it was apparent there was quite a difference. On most of that...
6
6

OT: using tablet as a Sat nav
Does anyone do this ?. I have never bought one of these things but so much now seems to demand an 'app download' I might have to bite the bullet. Everything with a remote control has an app which has...
70
70

New company car time
Can't believe it's nearly 4 years since I ordered the last one. Currently doing 30-35k miles / year. The government is really hammering diesel drivers - a like for like replacement of my 520d would...
23
23

Brakes
Recent MOT on the Boxster said I'd need the discs replaced shortly. Not a surprise given the mileage. So spent this morning on line looking for the best deal - parts only, as it's a job I can do, when...
16
16

Switch contacts.
Old Rover hasn't had much use recently, as MOT and work was needed - now done. Got pressed into service over the holidays and lots of the electrics don't work. I know how to sort them - clean the...
12
12