check engine light at 2K mi

The check engine light in my 06 MX-5 came on this weekend. Oddly, it SEEMS like it came on precisely when the odometer rolled over 2000 miles. Checked everything the manual says will cause the light to come on. Nothing obvious.

Is it just conspiracy paranoia or is Mazda actually making their cars request scheduled maintenance visits? It's going to the local dealer tomorrow.

Reply to
CR

CR wrote in news:Uu8oh.11739$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

It would be appreciated if you'll let us know what they found.

Reply to
XS11E

For sure! I am anxious to find out.

Reply to
CR

Honestly, All of you should keep an eye open at Miata.net forums. There's a recall acomin' for the gas cap..

Miata.net is an incredible resource of knowledge for Miatas of any vintage..

Reply to
Remove This

"Remove This" wrote in news:Ugboh.1456$GL.862@trndny06:

That doesn't help the OP, though, he's still got to take it to the dealer...

Very true.

Reply to
XS11E

Now why should he do that? All he had to do was ask the question here and he had the answer in just over 3 hours. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:45a14af5$0$16995$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

He didn't need the answer, he already knew it before he posted, "Take it to the dealer."

That's about the only option you have for a car under warranty.

For cars not under warranty, the usual fix works:

Open trunk, stuff full of money, take to dealer. Car will come back with problem solved (maybe) and trunk empty (for sure).

Reply to
XS11E

OP here... Miata.net is one of the first resources I looked at - no appropriate TSBs or recall notices yet. You are correct, sir - it IS an incredible resource of knowledge!

When the light came on the first thing I did was check the fuel filler cap. It never seemed to be work that well. Wouldn't that have caused the light to come on immediately after the last time it was filled (about 90 mi ago)?

Even if that is the fix - I'll gladly let Mazda buy me a new one if there is a recall.

Watch for an update on the newsgroup as soon as I find out.

XS11E wrote:

Reply to
CR

CR wrote in news:Iieoh.42868$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Maybe not. I had a similar problem with a different vehicle, the problem was a factory defect, a clamp omitted on the fuel line somewhere that caused a leak of air pressure in the gas filler system (same effect as a loose cap). After I filled the car it took around 25 miles for the light to come on. I think it depends on the size of the leak as to how soon the light comes on....

BTW, most here bottom post as is proper. Please don't top post it screws up threads.

Reply to
XS11E

In learning about crappy gas caps from my Honda Ridgeline, the fuel pressure system is not constantly monitored or tested at each startup, but instead, many systems are checked every "X" number of miles or operating hours. With my Honda, it seems to be about 200-400 miles. Even after really cranking on the cap, it could take a few hundred miles or just a few miles for the light to go out. If the scheduled cycling shows a pressure leak, it will stay on until the next cycle unless you reset it yourself - in the Honda's case, it is easier to ignore it until it goes off by itself on the next test cycle.

I would assume the MX5 has a similar testing cycle, and may need a few hundred miles to finally sense that the cas cap is tight again.

Boreal

2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Proper? Driving a Chevy is proper!

Reply to
William Morris

Reply to
XS11E

It was the fuel filler cap. $0 service visit.

Friend of mine with a BMW 5-series says it cost him $50 both times he has had this happen.

If the "computer" can provide a service code for this, why can't there be a "check fuel cap" light?

Reply to
CR

Glad to hear it's fixed!

Weight saving, only one bulb?

You answered your own question, the light says there's something wrong, the service code says what it is.

Reply to
XS11E

SNIP>

My Honda does tell you it is the gas cap, but it also has a super-disco flashing display that knows your shoe size and who farted last. I guess you should consider yourself lucky it wasn't a BMW dealer.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Because the dealers make 50 dollars for the diagnosis. There is no reason that a car can not come from the factory with both a display that tells you the fault, and a line of text about it (such as "loose gas cap")

Concerning BMWs: A cousin of mine drove a late 80's BMW 5 series, and it had an odometer display a bit smaller that you everyday cell phone screen. I once borrowed the car and noticed that the little screen was scrolling a message telling me to "service brake pads soon". Nearly 20 years later, it looks like that feature has been replace with and idiot light and a dealer fee..

Reply to
cantera_2

Go to the page

See TSB No. 0104406. Look at the detail links.

Hope this helps.

CR wrote:

Reply to
enca939

Go to the page

See TSB No. 0104406. Look at the detail links.

Hope this helps.

CR wrote:

Reply to
enca939

Mazda apparently has a recall to replace the gas caps on some NC's. It depends on your build date. Apparently some of the caps don't seal properly and leads to a CEL (Check Engine Light).

Jim

2006 MX-5 Sport
Reply to
George Jetson