Got any Miata peeves? Or hidden likes?

So, we all know the Miata has driving fun covered. In a big way! But what about things that are not so great? Or things you like that are less talked-about. Here are some of mine!

Small peeves

- Horn

- Cup holder location (can live with it by now, though)

- Sun visors unscrew themselves (oh, and they barely do anything)

Medium

- Would be nice if I could beat a Camry in a straight line

Large

- noise, vibration & ride harshness, especially on textured interstate (if not for this, I might not ever think about getting another fun car)

Hidden like

- Trip odometer works in reverse

Reply to
earache

Of course, the car's year makes a difference. I have an NA, and considering the technology (and market) when it was designed in the mid '80s, it's hard to quibble with any of the compromises Mazda chose.

Its NVH was actually pretty good for convertibles of the era. So was its acceleration. As a modern interpretation of the British roadster, it was a home run.

Still, there must have been SOME way to eke out another inch or two of legroom.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Very easily replaced.

Why would an actual sports car have a cup holder?

Which is why I removed mine the first day I had the car. 8;)

But that's not the point of a Miata. Imagine what the Miata would be like if it could out-drag every non-two seater in the world.

Nor is interstate travel.

Honestly, you don't sound like a good match for a Miata.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Depending on how picky the local constabulary is, simply removing might be an option. I went for about 10 years w/o a front license place and only got two "fix-it" tickets for it. I put it back on last summer, and I promptly got two nice little holes punched in my front bumper cover by the plate mounting bolts.

I've heard of people mounting them "in the mouth", but none of the Miata's I've had could stand the reduction in air-flow through the radiator on a hot day.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Move to a state that doesn't require a front plate?

Depends on your definition of "good," I guess. 8;)

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

looking at the4 site you provided i found a front plate solution,,,well kinda. look under the last red line at the bottom

for the horn, this is a great remedy...

yes, i like waking up the twits who drift...my 93 bmw k1100 lt bike sounds like a 68 buick :)

Reply to
peter

this is a direct link...

peter

('06 NC) Even though once you get used to them, they are still very inconvenient

- especially when trying to use the shifter with a cuppa in either center holder.

Not a big deal to us -um- mature Miata drivers. It's a kick to put it in 1st at a green light, wind it up a bit so it sounds intimidating, then watch as bubbas mash the pedal on their Camry/pickup truck/SUV/compact POS.

Interstate? The MX5 encourages us to use alternate roads!

Reply to
CR

Yep, 2005 NC with Bose system. Bloody awful speakers between the headrests...why did they bother!?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

It's my only complaint...and outweighed by the pluses.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

It seems your complaints can be summed up as "the Miata isn't a Toyota Camry, and I wanted a Toyota Camry".

The solution to that is easy: buy a Toyata Camry instead of a Miata.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

MAJOR PEEVE! Want gorgeous young bikini clad girl for passenger seat, must like old, cranky, bald, homely guys!

I wouldn't mind a bit more foot room but it's not really a peeve.

I could ask for more legroom but there's only one car I've ever owned that had adequate legroom for me, that was a 1950 Mercury Club Coupe, with the driver's seat all the way back I couldn't hold the clutch all the way down by about 1/4".

I wouldn't mind another 250 horse power but then I'd just get more tickets, the stock 1.6L will exceed the legal speed anywhere I've driven.

I'd have to say the only real peeve is the top mechanism, it's difficult for me to raise w/o getting out of the car. NB's are a little better, NC's are fine.

I wish that close examination of the '63-'67 (don't know about later ones) Corvette top mechanism was required for anyone designing a convertible.... No tonneau needed, effortless up and down from driver's seat, no rain drains to clog, no rain rail to worry about. Additionally it was light weight, very simple, little to go wrong. Every 50 years or so Chevrolet will do something right but I'm always surprised when they do.

Reply to
XS11E

Please remember the top was designed by Mazda UK. At least it does not leak, but we wouldn't want to make things too easy! Compared to the tops on my previous English sports cars, the Miata one is heaven!

Stuart H.

Reply to
Stuart H.

...or the S2000 -- just push the button on the dashboard.

Of course, my solution is to just take the hard top off. No soft top, no worries.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Power tops add weight and cost a bit of space, the Corvette top mentioned completely eliminated the need or desire for a power top as far as I can see, the NC top also comes very close IMHO. The mechanisms aren't adaptable to anything other than a two seater but for a two seater a power soft top is overkill.

Reply to
XS11E

Heh - I'd like a gorgeous, young, speedo clad boy toy for the passenger seat in my Miata. Must like aging, graying older women!

Not for me - the leg room is perfect. Of course, I'm vertically challenged.

Amen, brother. Particularly since mine is "ticket me officer" red.

With a roll bar, the NB is not so great - I still have to get out to put up the top.

Compared to my 1968 MGB, putting the top up on the Miata is a breeze. Or rather, a lack thereof.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva