OT: Should I make a claim?

Why no Mazda 6 groups? Sorry for invading the Miata area.

I backed my car into the foot wide Mazda sign post (the one that stretches thirty feet into the sky) at my dealership. There was much embarassment, gnashing of teeth, and weeping.

The bumper has a corner bent inward to form a void the size of a softball. The bumper is ajar about an inch from the wheel well. The tail light has a faint scratch that is passable. Otherwise, no visible damage that I see. Catching the corner worries me.

Should I pass this on to the insurance? Never made a claim,

31 years old, CA. I've always heard doom and gloom that a claim ruins the rates.

Thanks, Caden

Reply to
Caden

Have you taken the car in for an estimate? My insurance company (TX) keeps track of accident claims for 29 months, IIRC. It is very likely that the deductible plus the increased rates will add up to more than the repair costs. How do you like the Mazda6? I haven't test driven one yet, but it is one of the vehicles that I am considering getting after I pay off my miata. (8 more payments, woo-hoo!) Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Without knowing your insurance details (e.g. premium, deductible), how much it will cost to fix it, and how much you can afford to pay, it's an impossible question to answer.

Caden wrote:

-- Marcio Watanabe

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

pws wrote: : Caden wrote: :> Why no Mazda 6 groups? Sorry for invading the Miata area. :> :> I backed my car into the foot wide Mazda sign post (the one :> that stretches thirty feet into the sky) at my dealership. :> There was much embarassment, gnashing of teeth, and weeping. :> :> The bumper has a corner bent inward to form a void the size of :> a softball. The bumper is ajar about an inch from the wheel :> well. The tail light has a faint scratch that is passable. :> Otherwise, no visible damage that I see. Catching the corner :> worries me. :> :> Should I pass this on to the insurance? Never made a claim, :> 31 years old, CA. I've always heard doom and gloom that a :> claim ruins the rates. :> :> Thanks, :> Caden :>

: Have you taken the car in for an estimate? My insurance company (TX) : keeps track of accident claims for 29 months, IIRC. It is very likely : that the deductible plus the increased rates will add up to more than : the repair costs.

I'm eyeballing $500.00. The estimate won't be available because the car is already in the shop for today and tomorrow - albeit thankfully just for some installation items.

: How do you like the Mazda6? I haven't test driven one yet, but it is one : of the vehicles that I am considering getting after I pay off my miata. : (8 more payments, woo-hoo!) : Pat : '96M

It's definitely worth the test drive.

The suspension is probably the stiffest of any mid-size sedan I drove. So there's a lot of road feel, very sharp and accurate turns. No under or over steer. Basically an excellent handling mid-size sedan.

The price is definitely competitive. The only con I saw as the Ford transmission. Dunno if a first generation car is the best choice. But the test drove made me forget those concerns.

Reply to
Caden

Marcio Watanabe wrote: : Without knowing your insurance details (e.g. premium, deductible), how : much it will cost to fix it, and how much you can afford to pay, it's : an impossible question to answer.

Thanks for the reply Marcio. Yeah, I'm a little jumpy I guess. 1000 miles and a fender bender is enough to make me savor the morning meal at lunch.

I'm won't have a quote for at least a day. The deductable is $200. I'll see how it goes.

Reply to
Caden

You can probably just push the bumper cover back in place at the wheel well; I've done that. Pushing the corner back out probably requires taking the cover off, but maybe you can get behind it without doing so (I haven't tried). You'll still see scratches and stuff, but if you ever parallel park the thing (or more to the point, anyone ever parallel parks by braille behind you) they'll be unnoticable after a while.

It will, but worse, unless you have a very low deductible you'll still eat most of the cost.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto