rust and warranty question

I have a 97M that's developed rust on the passenger side, at the first seam ahead of the rear wheel, for about 2 inches. Not especially noticeable overall, but it's there. There seems to be a 3/4" irregular hole of some sort on the underside there, and that's rusty too.

I asked a Mazda dealer about the warranty for rust, and they said they "thought" it was 5 years (which would leave me out of luck).

PBC in Chantilly, Va said they thought it might be 10 years.

A local body shop gave me an informal estimate of $650.

Does anyone know what the real warranty situation is?

Thanks,

Gerry

Reply to
Gerard C Blais

If you are the original owner, warranty information should be in a packet in your glove box.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

There was a time that Columbia students (or are we dealing with faculty?) would have been able to figure out in a flash that after

6 years, something might, very maybe, conceivably, it is *not* impossible, have been *moved* from the glove box.

I would think the warranty might be similar to my 96 one. "Perforation" (which I take to be rust-through; surface rust is surely excluded) is 5 years in service. I think the dealer is probably right.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen