Take My Miata to Paris????

I have been offered a job in Paris for three years and am considering taking my 96 Miata. I bought it new and love this little car. Does anyone have experience in doing this? Will I have any problems in registering? licensing? meeting any French standards?

I mainly want it to tool around the French, Swiss and Italian country side. My office will be at the edge of Paris and I don't want to join the mad traffic in the center of Paris but it would be real handy on the weekends and vacations.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

From what the local Mazda dealer says it could easily take six months to go through the paper work even if there are no issues regarding whether your car conforms to European standards.

I think the advice to sell yours and buy here is good. Here's a site that has some used MX5s available - you can compare prices:

Try a Google search for voitures d'occasion to find more.

The two French clubs are MX5 club de France

and MX5 Passion

The members are helpful and perhaps someone has experience with imports. There are forums where you can post an enquiry.

Once you're out of the cities, the European country side looks great with the top down. Good luck in Paris!

Harry

Reply to
Harry et MaXin5

You may also want to check the regulations for getting it back into the USA afterwards. The EPA is particularly nasty.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Personally - I would not bother - too much red-tape hassle (if I remember Europe from years ago). Anyway - you have a chance to try something that we do not get on this side of the pond for 3 years - this could be fun as well... - like an Elise or MGF or Alfa Spyder or...

You can always keep the Miata or get another one when you get back.

Just my $0.02

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

Forget the Spyder -- they ruined it. It's now a standard vanilla FWD model (though the top does go down).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

With the only consolation being the glorious Alfa motor, but you're in the Nissan 350Z price bracket with the Alfa and the German press has been going gaga over the Nissan now. The MGF would be a good choice (make sure it's the updated model).

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

If you really want to enjoy your Miata try the E74 between Cuneo (Italy) and Tende (France). I loved every single part of it.

93 bb LE

"Mike" schreef in bericht news:bf56m6$ snipped-for-privacy@library1.airnews.net...

Reply to
James Dee

How about the SS38 between Bormio and Prato allo Stelvio?

Per K. Nielsen