top pricing/repair

Got a quote to replace the plastic window in my top and a quote to replace the entire top with a new glass-window model, including labor on both:

New plastic window in old top: $380USD (I expected like 150-200) New top with glass window: $1100 (both prices with rain rail if necessary)

Kosher? (I don't have the tools nor the skills or patience to do this myself)

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician

Get a quote from an auto top or boat upholstery shop for sewing in a new piece of plastic on the car (without removing the top). Typical prices are $60-100 parts and labor.

You may not choose that solution, but it's cheap. My car's previous owner did it, before I got the car 7 years ago. The zipper zipped its last a couple of years ago, so I use a rolled towel, but the window is still in good shape and perfectly weatherproof.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

The $380 is kosher if they are replacing the entire window flap with the OEM part, which is insanely expensive ($250, IIRC). It should be a lot cheaper to replace just the PVC window itself.

The soft top price seems insane.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

I'm checking another place Monday that may be able to just replace the plastic part.

thanks for the input, y'all

fptm

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician

"Fruit Pie the Magician" wrote

Last April I bought a Robbins no-zip glass window top with rain rail from Cabrio World for $466.15 including freight. $633.85 is a big chunk of change to pay someone else to install it.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Does it lay higher than stock?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

"Leon van Dommelen" wrote

Yes it does. Drives me nuts, but my wife doesn't seem to mind. She says she's not looking at it when she's driving. Haven't had the top down for months anyway (sniff).

Also a problem for me is the reduced headroom resulting from the pocket for the window wrapping around the bottom of the forward listing, in effect dropping the inside of the top down to the level of the bottom of that bar. At 5'3" it's no problem for her.

Reply to
Ken Lyons