woofer

It's starting to sound like I've got a woofer problem in the sound system of my '91. I peeled back the headrest on the driver's side to expose the two small speakers there, both identical in size. Are these woofers or tweeters or both? If tweeters, are the woofers in the door panels? Any suggestions on where to buy replacement speakers? Thanks for any input. Art

Reply to
Art McGinn

"Art McGinn" wrote in news:14ydnXv44LmWO5TYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I believe the headrest speakers are both woofer and tweeter but mostly midrange.

Check miata.net as to which speakers work well and then take a look at crutchfield.com to purchase them.

Reply to
XS11E

If your '91 is like mine was you will probably find that the door speakers (not really woofers, they are simply larger midrange speakers with "whizzer" cones) have started to rot away, primarily at the edge/surround. I replaced mine with real 3-way speakers from Sony and the sound was better-than-new.

Reply to
John McGaw

my headrest speakers (circa 1'90) buzz on the lower notes nowadays - partly because they're old (and probably rated no lower than 100Hz on the bottom end if that) and partly because with a CD player i'm getting more dynamic range as input. but my door speakers were repleced witf infinity's by the previous owner so i tend to fade the headrests out a bit.

the stock miata speakers are all single cones intended to cover the entire musical range (within limitations), so there is no woofer or tweeter as such.

check miata.net for recommendations & i'd try ebay first to see if you can find what you want at a decent price there. i think you can get the crutchfields for $120 there.

----------

"i can spell. i just can't type."

Reply to
barry

Thanks for the good advice. Barry, you hit it on the decibel -- a low note from a standup bass rumbles like the speaker is wax paper but Streisand in high range comes through pretty well. Old those speakers are, and so am I. Cheers, Art

Reply to
Art McGinn

Listed below is the "solution" I have implemented on my '97:

- Kenwood Exelon MP3 capable head unit

- Sony 3-1/2 "Xcelon" speakers in the headrest

- Kenwood 6-3/4 component speakers w/1-in tweeters in the door.

The speakers, though different brands are matched for SPL and RMS power.

The head unit was selected because I can cut ALL frequencies below 150 Hz going to the rear (headrest) channels.

This allows for clear, clean sound at 80 mph with the top down and no windblocker.

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader