ML320 key

One of the keys to my ML320 failed (not just a bad battery.)

I purchased a new key from a Mercedes dealer by mail and it arrived today, properly cut so that it operates the ignition lock. What it doesn't do is lock or unlock the doors.

I've tried the procedure in the Operator's Manual to resynch the key without success.

It's a 100+ mile drive to the nearest Mercedes dealer so I'd like to avoid that option if it is something I can do here.

Any suggestions?

Boden

Reply to
Boden

Boden - sounds (on the surface) that the key wasn't coded properly to your VIN. if you still have an older working smartkey, does that still work? if coded improperly, they'll have to do over.

Reply to
raymond

Sorry, the ML key HAS to be programmed with the dealers SDS in order for it to work. You need to take your new key and ML to the dealer. You know the mechanical key is correct by the vin.

[pass car remotes do not have to be programmed with a SDS, only the ML]

Reply to
Karl