New Cooper S problems

not so sure. What's the status on yours now?

A few little niggles, but once the engine was sorted, no problems for me. I love it to bits matey!

Nige

Reply to
N14EL !s 4ionG t0

Don't let any single person's experiences sway you too much. If you look hard enough, you can find hundreds of people who have had no end of problems with their Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys and these are probably the two most reliable cars on the planet. And people's willingness to work through problems on a new car is incredibly variable - one person will have ten serious problems in the first month and accept it all as just part of the fun of owning a Mini, while another person will let a rattle drive them bonkers and condemn the car as a piece of crap on this problem alone. Many of the complaints against the Mini have more to do with the nature of the car: rough ride causing rattles in cold weather, paint chipping on the low-slung front end, and windshield nicks due to how far forward it is and how vertical it is. And the car is a magnet for people doing ham-fisted modifications, loaning it to friends with questionable driving practices, and generally just driving the hell out of it.

I'd read the reliability reports in publications like Consumer Reports and read as many forums like Mini2 and make your own judgment on whether the Mini is reliable enough for your particularly tolerance level. And I think your tolerance level is the biggest factor: If you are the sort that expect perfection in a new car and cringe when you have to deal with the slightest problem, then the Mini is not for you. But if you are willing to look past couple issues each year, consider a few rough edges part of the "character" in a car, and really like the look/feel of the car, then you're Mini material.

One other thing: I wouldn't own a Mini without a garage. The car attracts too much attention which results in a lot of petty vandalism.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Couldn't agree more...had mine 3 months, 3300 miles now...no probs so far (touch wood!).....

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Boocock

Really starting to loosen up now too. My exhaust is booming a lot more than it did new though, yours?

Nige

Reply to
N14EL !s 4ionG t0

Hi Nigel,

Yeah, it's quite a deep throaty noise that sounds awsome, even a slight vibration throught the car...LOVE it!!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Boocock