Removing front subframe

I am in the process of stripping my Clubman down to get at some rust areas and the front subframe needs to come out (the motor is already out). My
question is, where do you disconnect the steering box? Can it come away with the subframe, or must you disconnect the steering rack ball joints?
Graham
GrahamL wrote:

Aint you got a manual?
The steering rack is attached the the floor pan and needs the ball joints removing from the steering arms.
I would guess that the rack would be a pain to replace afterwards if you let it go with the sub frame.
rm

Thanks, Rob.
I do have a manual for what it's worth. It is one of the worst I have ever used. Probably good if you know what you've done it before but otherwise a bit if a challenge. Anyway, the subframe is out, steering rack and all, as of this afternoon. I'll bolt the rack onto the body before I put the subframe back in. It would certainly be difficult otherwise. However, it is going to be a lot easier to get the ball joints out now that the steering rack is off the body.
Graham
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:37:16 +1000, "GrahamL"

You know, it occurs to me that it should be possible to create an open-source online manual that everyone could contribute to, Wikipedia-style. Now how could we start that off?
--
Regards, Chris (Please take out my car to reply by plain text email)
---1967 Riley Elf----1978 Mini 1000----1979 Ford Capri---

Chris,
That would be excellent. Once started, it may even be worthwhile publishing in hard copy one day. Have a look at http://www.jag-lovers.org/ebooks /. I don't know how they do it, but members contribute information to these e-books. I guess they have a knowledgeable editor. Any volunteers?
Graham
.

www.ime.org.uk - it exists, and you can add to it.
Colin.

Hmmm. I was aware of the site, but not that you could add to it. Better get it built up a bit I guess!
--
Regards, Chris (Please take out my car to reply by plain text email)
---1967 Riley Elf----1978 Mini 1000----1979 Ford Capri---
Don't forget to replace the steering rack before you refit the front subby. I know its obvious but a pain if you forget.

I can believe it, Peter, given the angles of the bolts holding the steering rack on to the firewall. It would be nearly impossible.
Thanks,
Graham

GrahamL wrote:

Can be done :)