Removing front subframe

I am in the process of stripping my Clubman down to get at some rust areas and the front subframe needs to come out (the motor is already out). My question is, where do you disconnect the steering box? Can it come away with the subframe, or must you disconnect the steering rack ball joints?

Graham

Reply to
GrahamL

Aint you got a manual?

The steering rack is attached the the floor pan and needs the ball joints removing from the steering arms.

I would guess that the rack would be a pain to replace afterwards if you let it go with the sub frame.

rm

Reply to
Rob

Thanks, Rob.

I do have a manual for what it's worth. It is one of the worst I have ever used. Probably good if you know what you've done it before but otherwise a bit if a challenge. Anyway, the subframe is out, steering rack and all, as of this afternoon. I'll bolt the rack onto the body before I put the subframe back in. It would certainly be difficult otherwise. However, it is going to be a lot easier to get the ball joints out now that the steering rack is off the body.

Graham

Reply to
GrahamL

You know, it occurs to me that it should be possible to create an open-source online manual that everyone could contribute to, Wikipedia-style. Now how could we start that off?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris,

That would be excellent. Once started, it may even be worthwhile publishing in hard copy one day. Have a look at

I don't know how they do it, but members contribute information to these e-books. I guess they have a knowledgeable editor. Any volunteers? Graham

Reply to
GrahamL

- it exists, and you can add to it.

Colin.

Reply to
TFP

Don't forget to replace the steering rack before you refit the front subby. I know its obvious but a pain if you forget.

Peter

Hmmm. I was aware of the site, but not that you could add to it. Better get it built up a bit I guess!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I can believe it, Peter, given the angles of the bolts holding the steering rack on to the firewall. It would be nearly impossible.

Thanks,

Reply to
GrahamL

Can be done :)