28.1mpg.....

Just done some quick workings out.

Don't know how accurate the fuel gauge is, but I tend to have about a helf or just less left for between 190-210 miles all in.

The tank is 67 litres, and supposedly a 400 miles range. Just done some working out, and that makes around 27mpg the expected average for a T16S. So I'm actually up on the balance of things, as I do tend to find "target" cars on the local dual carriageway in the last 4 mile stretch from home, usually because they are the ones who will drop to 40mph when the dual carriageway NSL turns to single carriage NSL.

Had fun with a RX8 Friday going home. Side by side on the roundabout, he boots it, I boot it, he cuts in front so I have to back off, he floors it again, so I do the same. Every gear change he would start to gain a bit, then my turbo would spool and he got reeled in. Then at 70 in third, about to change up, we both got slowed up by two middle aged women in a CLK230 with the top down, enjoying the sun in the second lane of a dual carriageway at 40. By the time they realised we were there, we were close to the next rounabout so when they pulled over there wasn't much point in playing again. Still averaged 29.5.

However, I did do a 200 mile return run to angelsey the Friday before, commonly know as a Swedish tuneup (yeah I know Brunstroms so kept to the limit on his side of the border), and for the next month that tends to improve figures.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I'd say that's mainly down to power losses in the transmission, rather than purely the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The RX-8 driver will centainly not be enjoying 29.5mpg or anywhere close. I get an average of 20mpg on my daily commute. Long motorway runs are a bit better, average of 25ish.

Paul

Reply to
GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo

with a gentle right foot you can get about 300 to a tank but around town just forget it

Reply to
dojj

Ah the joys of 2 tonnes of swedish iron then ;)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

60 litres.. and I get on average 240 - 260 miles from a tank....
Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Nope, for about £1600 you could easily get a late "N, P or R" 3.0 24v Alfa

164 with leather Recaros. Ignore Steves' Cambelt tales of woe. Change 'em every 36000 then forget about 'em. Torque steer is nowhere near as bad as a turbo Saab, and 164s are gorgeous..
Reply to
Pete M

don't want a V6, Well do want a V6, but also want a smaller car I can=20 afford to drive.

having said that, there is a 2l TS 166 with velour and full history on=20 Ebay with a =A34.5k buy now option. Hmm, not bad for a 166, but a bit rich= =20 for me.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

Nice idea, but for the commute in mind, seems a bit OTT...

Reply to
DervMan

You wanna hold the gears a bit longer and keep it in the boost zone more of the time, you do. :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It was a busyish dual carriageway, didn't change to 3rd until 50, tops out at about 60 in second. 3rd is good for 90, but it is quite a short (less than 1 mile) stretch, so I tend to stick to 70, as it curves slightly, and has a crest that goes over the M6, then you are braking to position yourself for a gap at the rounabout immediatley after. Even after short shifting to 5th, whenever he tried to pull away between 50 and 70, I reeled him in nice and fast.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Thats it. I want something nice classy and comfortable, that is from a maker with heritage and class, sorry but only limited fords do it for me, the Zodiac/Zephyr/Consuls, and the 1930's ones, and the likes of the GT + the original MK2 Escort RS2000, and the RS200+the Cosworth cars. VX are the same, only certain ones them do it. Honda/Toyota are the exception in that they don't have the heritage, but like everything else Jap, they have managed to manufacturer "Working" class, rather the true upper class, but it has to be small enough to be practical on the short commutes I do. I only do anything more than 200 miles a week, about 4 times a year, but then I tend to do arround 400+ miles, with the additional 200+ done in a day, so it has to be moderatley comfotable.

The Run from Warrington to Norwich and back in the Skoda favorit with competition shocks, and buckets seats over a weekend (out Friday, back Sunday) was enough of a killer to not want to repeat that.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Your Volvo ?

What on earth for ?

Reply to
Nom

Have you gone mad ?

Er, so ?

:)

Reply to
Nom

Found a US site that lists the 2door turbo and the 3 door hatch at 2770 pounds.

And another site that lists the 900 (the whole range) as Weight Length Height Wheelbase Gauge, width of track (front/back)

1 300kg 4750mm 1440mm 2530mm 1420mm/1 430mm

and here is a link to The Saab Network technical site.

MeatballTurbo

our

Heh - we've averaged 100 miles a day for the month so far! :)

Sorry but the drive to Norwich in the most comfortable of cars would be too much for me! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Wider track, better ride, bigger contact patch... fills the arches better... no quite sensible really! :)

30K a year...
Reply to
DervMan

For that kind of mileage surely its about time you got a proper car?

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Had to stop at Leicester Forest services and a layby just past Godmanchester for a leg stretch. Was suffereing from Sciatica at that time. For a couple of hours I was OK, then it would start to pinch and nip a bit. Then I would get out and be bent double for 10 minutes trying to loosen my back out.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Because its designed to run on 98RON so thought it might be worth a try. Did seem a little perkier, but not worth the 5p hke in price i dont think.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs