28.1mpg.....

Tested before buying the Cinq:

Punto, Fiesta, Ka, Clio, Micra, Mini (old)

Tested after buying the Cinq:

Punto (again), Bravo, Alfa 145, Marea, Astra.

That'll be the one that lasted all of 2 months before I ditched it on the drive and bought another Alfa, then?

The one I sold yesterday?

The brand I'll never buy again?

Whereas I've just done 6k miles in the 155 and 2k miles in the 75 since April.

Reply to
SteveH

If you think that, keep dreaming.

Reply to
DervMan

So that'll be a "no" then?

And I've done just over 2,000 miles in the Ka over the last 20 days. Sorry, but if you're that committed to the one brand, and you believe in it that much, the Nissan incident would never have happened.

Reply to
DervMan

Harder riding yes, but i wouldn't say they had made the 405 ride anything CLOSE to uncomfortable. My mate has a 405 lowered 40mm, with 40 profile tyres on 17, and that is a little harsh, but still bearable.

Reply to
Dan405

Autocar reckon with the 407 they still do :)

Reply to
Dan405

Yes, but Peugeot knew a thing or two about chassis design back then.

Reply to
SteveH

You're singing to the Choir, brother :o)

Although, I think the Ka is an admirable little car, bit on the dinky side for me, but they don't half handle...

In fact, if I can't blag an Alfa or summat like that, I might try a posh Ka for a month or two...

Reply to
Pete M

Wasn't so keen on them myself. Lots of grip, but horrible engine and poor feedback.

The Cinq grabbed me 'cos it felt alive, probably didn't have the same outright grip, but it was much more chuckable, and did a nice line in lift-off oversteer :-)

Reply to
SteveH

I find the feedback fine, very throttle steerable an all.

Cinqs are good fun, as is the Seicento Sporting, but even when absolutely murdering a Sei Sporting I had big difficulty keeping up with a hard driven [1] Escort 1.8 down some reasonable twisties..

In a Ka I annihilated the same driver in an identical Escort on the same road.. and I'm talking by minutes...

[1] Bloke called Eddie "Wingnut" who used to be my regular driving partner when I worked in car hire.. boy could pedal a hire car to destruction, and regularly did.
Reply to
Pete M

'Tis a different car with a different suspension set up. There are far more compromises with a shorter wheelbase, shorter track machine. The Sportka uses 195/45 tyres on a 16" rim, but has a wider track and modified suspension set up, to cope.

That the standard Ka rides so well on 165/60s on a 14" rim is admirable. Puts the Cinquecento to shame, which matches the Lupo and Arosa, except the Cinq enjoys corners.

Reply to
DervMan

Heheh!

Reply to
DervMan

No shit.....

Peugeot know / knew how to make a comfy car handle. Ford have never managed to do either properly.

Reply to
SteveH

Er, I think you'll find I've got an example of a comfy ol' Sierra that handles.

Reply to
Pete M

He sounds like a bit of a tosser to me.

Must have been spending far too much time around your perversions.

Reply to
SteveH

Sure you're not confusing grip with handling?

Reply to
SteveH

Absolutely positive. Although you do need to be tanking it a bit to discover the full extent of the handling.. It's not like the Capri which handles without gripping.

Reply to
Pete M

"DervMan" wrote

May I just say that I was mightily impressed with the ride and grip available on the SportKa I had a brief test drive of. It was also very chuckable and had a bit of go (could definately do with a revvier engine though) They really seem to have the suspension sorted. When they get to be sub £1000 I might have one (c:

As you say dervy if only there was a way of making everyone believe they are shit...

SteveH - I think you should go national with this ford slagging stuff.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

About as many as those still stuck with pushrods.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I get better out of a Saab turbo that is huge by comparison.

Needs a Swedish Tuneup I think.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

They're s**te - always have been, always will be.

They needed Yamaha to design their petrol engines, PSA to design the diesels, and still couldn't work out how to rust proof a bodyshell.

Reply to
SteveH