28.1mpg.....

That's where you're wrong.

Reply to
DervMan

Eh? So you've picked two of one hundred and something pages, on which to base an assumption?

That's as baseless as your sweeping "all Fords suck," and your decision to reach this conclusion is based on your unfortunate lack of sense some time ago and some older cars.

But you won't let people make the assumption that Alfa Romeos have crappy build quality, rust, and are unreliable, based on those that were in production when you bought your Fords.

Track days, drag strips, charity drives from one end of the country to another. Say no more. You can't judge an individual from one or two facets.

You're right, I don't give a stuff. I'm more concerned with the overall package than one or two bits.

Reply to
DervMan

Actually, yes. Coast to Coast is a great, well produced and well written album that makes excellent music for lifts, dental waiting rooms and BBC local radio everywhere.

Now, ask if I like it, and the answer may be different.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The dealers are still shit though aren't they.

The Nikasil thing only affected some types of beemer with a certain type of engine. The problem with Alfas is that they are all Alfas *and* their backup is Alfa dealers.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Douglas Payne decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Then again, my old 540i was hardly the epitome of reliablility. In fact, I've never known a truly reliable BMW now I think of it, although I have known a couple of very very reliable Alfas - both 164s strangely enough.

Alfa dealers are utterly s**te though, Mangoletsi in Cheshire used to be quite good, but the rest of them really are bloody awful. Williams BMW aren't /that/ much better though.

Reply to
Pete M

Dude, thats not cool....

Reply to
Dan405

Speak for yourself (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It had a new air filter, backbox, strutbrace and was really low - must be good for an extra 20/30bhp :) ?

Reply to
Dan405

I reckon it gave me 2-3bhp. But it was done to make it revvier and cure the flatspot at 3.5k rpm.

And yes, it was _very_ low.

It just looked so _right_.

Reply to
SteveH

Very true - however you have to realise that those of us who have access and regular use of many different cars buy our own often with an eye on needs and practicality, depending on circumstances both physical and practical, never mind financial, at the time.

I bought my 75 when I had access to a TT, a Zafira, a Space Wagon, a Vectra, an Omega and a Galant. The 75 was ideal for the long trans-europe runs I was into at the time. My S60 is ideal for the long UK motorway miles I do now. The Zafira is there because I have four kids and a low budget!

Lol!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Prices have fallen recently - seen tidy, rust-free ones go for £2.5k.

At those prices I may well have to get one.

Reply to
SteveH

This is Usenet and such claims can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Unless it's dual carriageway all the way, you're not going to average

70mph in _anything_. I suppose the above is just about possible if you nail it on the A1 before it drops to single carriageway, but unlikely.

Best I've managed recently was Caerphilly to Hereford, roughly 50 miles, in about 55mins - but that was taking it a suicidal speeds on the A465.

Reply to
SteveH

Right, that's it.

You're a know-nothing f****it.

The 900cc Cinq. was absolute s**te.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

See you on the A4059.

Ka vs 75.

Bwahahaha.

Reply to
SteveH

In the dynamics respects, yes. Linear performance was good, fuel consumption was good, motorway refinement was good for the class, and the boot was big enough too.

Handling wasn't a strong point! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Dervy has owned a Mk3 Fester - a diesel, which he has commented on being pretty s**te in a lot of areas.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Why, because it had a problem with rust?

Because the dealers were appalling?

Or because you cannot answer many of my arguments so you're thrashing around finding some excuse?

Reply to
DervMan

Yes.

This week I've been mostly in a RWD hooligan mode.

If I want to cruise listening to R2, I'll take the 155, cover the ground just as quickly, but with less effort.

Shame the Golf is off the road at the moment, 'cos I'd have really been into taking that today.

Reply to
SteveH

I've already covered all the reasons why the 900cc was s**te and the Sporting was good.

It's like comparing a MkII Fester 1.1L to an XR2.

On that point..... I'd have a MkII XR2. Always liked 'em.

Reply to
SteveH

York to Forth Road Bridge in 3 hours is pretty good going, at a guess (I'm not overly familiar with the roads up there, other than that it can be a pain to get an overtaking opportunity on the A1 past Newcastle, but there are probably better ways to go than that anyway) - just checked the mileage on AA route planner and it weighs in at 204 miles, so an average of just under 70mph, which on the sort of roads you'd be going on, seems pretty bloody good to me (the AA route planner estimates the time at 4h24m).

To me, that qualifies as driving and not pootling along.

I like to drive my Audi. I've proven it to be capable of 48mpg on one long journey doing no more than 80mph, and got the trip computer to read 62mpg once going from the edge of Milton Keynes, up the A421/M1 and into Luton, but I can get 40mpg driving it how I want to drive it and not worrying about economy, so I'm happy with that. Doubtless if it was in the hands of Tim Kemp, it'd probably struggle to do more than 35 though :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan