£70k Vauxhall Astra...

SIX years and SEVENTY THOUSAND POUNDS invested into that. You should be able to see it without logging in, cos I don't have an account there and I can. The only small plus, ruined by the fact it's still FWD is the 3.0 Supercharged V6, with NOS.

What the hell possessed him? If he started at 17 and just finished at 23 - surely he'd have grown out of that look! I'd be genuinely ashamed to passenger in it let alone drive it. The work has been done very well though, but it's hard to be impressed when the hardest thing he's had to do is open his wallet.

Reply to
DanB

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:03:22 +0000, DanB spouted forth:

The phrase "you can't polish a turd" springs to mind ;-)

Nice job. He's still got an Astra though. Why not just spend £70k on a

911?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Indeed. He's been robbed blind by some of the stuff though. My bro had a custom leather interior done in his Porsche 944 and it only cost £3k.

Why the f*ck they didn't change the backlight on the LCD display under the rev counter to blue/white I don't know. It just looks shit being green with the rest of the gauges being white.

Reply to
Conor

£70,000 over six years... that's only about £1,000 a month. May be quite easy if you're living at home with nothing to spend your money on apart from garage bills?

Heh. I will never grow out of some things!

I only looked at the first two pages. I didn't see anything that made me feel impressed. Maybe seeing it on the track might?

Don't Astras have lower insurance ratings than 911s? ;)

Reply to
DervMan

I doubt it. There's that much weight in it, it'll barely match a standard 2L and I bet it corners like a dog.

Reply to
Conor

And pretty gutting when you realise what sort of proportion of a house that could have bought.

£70k lower? :-)
Reply to
AstraVanMann

Maybe. And I really do mean maybe, because it depends. My next door neighbour loves to spend time in his gardens front and rear. One of my former colleagues loved to decorate the interior and organise her husband to build an extension on the side and back of the house. But most seventeen year olds won't enjoy house decorating, gardening or building as much as they'll enjoy deciding what header unit to wire up to stupid amouts of RMS speaker wattage in the back.

Depending on where you read and who you believe, UK house prices are teetering on the edge of a 60% fall. If peoples' perception of personal wealth is linked with the value of an illiquid bunch of bricks many could be thinking they're broke this time next year. Or the year after that.

Indeed, over the last five years and given the choice between putting money into the stockmarket, a private residence, a Vauxhall Astra, beer and hookers or a selection of banks offering the very best interest rate at the time, I'm not sure what would have lost the most money...

;)

Reply to
DervMan

Correct, unless you miss my point. Seeing something designed or optimised for track day use impresses me far more than something modified for the benefit of shagging girls/ magazine features / p***ing competition in the forums.

Something the majority of former Ka Klub buddies simply didn't understand. Which is fine, as long as they don't try to impress me with 18" rims and DVD header units. ;)

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

OK, own up. Who hid Dervy under a rock for the last nine months?

Reply to
Adrian

LOL - well if they are due to fall a further 60%, I'll be waiting......

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Ya - a *further* fall.

Reply to
DervMan

You'd never get all that ICE in a 911.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thus Speaketh The Dervman -Harbinger of Doom.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not my cup of tea, but why are you so jealous? Maybe when you are older and get a job you will be able to buy a car and modify it if you must. To some £70K is nothing, some of us earn more than that in a year but don't feel the need to blow it on cars. I would prefer to buy a few cars than be stuck with the Astra he has put together. Isn't it strange that he refuses to take pictures of the front, the engine or even video a drive in it. I suspect he spent around £7000 on it as most of the stuff looks like everything else I have seen at a car cruise. Nothing is original in design as even the petrol filler location is well used already and the speedo can be purchased from Demon Tweeks! It's just another 1.6 16v Astra with a purple factory paint job. Now worth about £2000 as no one would buy it. He hasn't even fitted a new engine as he refuses to prove he has!

Reply to
Clive

So what's wrong with that? Demon Tweeks sell genuine motorsport parts at genuine motorsport prices. The "speedo" is actually a Stack digital display costing £1000+. Why do you even bother changing your name, everyone knows you're the Tiscali Idiot.

Reply to
Homer

Cos it's so damn sexy, duh! Although I wouldn't mind £70k to spend on a car. Gallardos are getting close to that now...

I'm not sure how much older I'm going to get, but thanks for the positive thoughts and here's hoping :-) I'd probably have to consider something a little more wheelchair friendly than my last car, which I sold in October, but again, you never know so here's hoping you're right :-)

Reply to
DanB

You want the A-Team van with a remote control tail lift you do. Roll on, Roll off, and just roll.

Reply to
Elder

Well all that ICE in the back means it's pretty much F*****d that idea up. Bet he can't even make enough room in the front seat.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Are you old, or a wimp. That is what the bonnet is for. Convenient height, convenient size and heated.

Reply to
Elder

LOL, old and a wimp.

Peter Hill