Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Er - when did academia say that. Concrete has been a standard building material for boats for ages.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Place just outside York doing it from a pump at 7.5.9p/l. Saves 90p a gallon.

Reply to
Conor

Yet turbo'd HGV diesels that are seriously stressed far more than you'd ever expect a car one to be, last forever.

Reply to
Conor

Here is where you are A BIT confused. THAT is not evidence but a "testemonial" Testimonials do not in any way form any kind of evidence.

As used by QVC, ALL RELIGIONS, ECOTEC, PEOPLE THAT SELL FUEL AND OIL ADDITIVES, MAGNETS THAT STRAP ON YOUR FUEL LINE, MAGNETS THAT STOP EVERY ACH AND PAIN IN THE UNIVERSE AND ALL THE OTHER SNAKE OILS...

aNYONE CAN FIND A BUNCH OF PETROL OR DIESEL ENGINES THAT HAVE DONE BIG MILEAGE FOR WHATEVER REASON.

Excuse the caps, stupid keyboard...

Reply to
Burgerman

The key is, in what you've just said - 'diesels typically have more low end grunt than a petrol' - more low end grunt equates to more torque being available at lower revs.

Yes... I've had high revving four stroke bikes as well - I know the difference. :-)

It's precisely why, other than in a few extremely lightweight specials, no-one generally bothers to put a bike engine in a car - your average sports

600 lump now knocks out around 110bhp, which is all that matters according to some around here.

Add in the weight of say a Peugeot 106 in road trim for, and then see how easy it is to live with, day in, day out, with that little torque available at lower revs to pull away with.

Like I said elsewhere... if it was that good an idea, it would be implemented by the manufacturers.

Reply to
JackH

You wouldn't take one to work never mind talk one to.

Reply to
Depresion

No, you're the only one who said they have any measurable advantage over petrol other than fuel economy.

Ever thought that Burgerman's statement of facts may not have been so extreme and ill considered?

what no comment? Oh yes, because I'm right. Sorry for the short reply this time but am just in a break in a recording session. Just voiceovers today.

Astra / Focus doesn't have secure boot. S40 would have been OK but they were going end of line when I bought and are a bit tight with three in the back. Also I cant fit my smaller mobile PA in the boot of the S40.

I wanted another Volvo. I saw it at the dealer that was handling my wrecked S40. I put in an offer and it was accepted. Very few other cars would have done as good an overall job for less money.

But not AS quiet, and I reckon that it would be up at the governer (sp?) (or at its limit of power / drag) at that speed.

Not that many, but they command crazy money for their age and mileage.

Not all diesels do either, the VW I was driving the other week stalled on me lots of times if I didn't stick 1800 or so before lifting the clutch. In that respect my old cavalier had more torque at idle.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

At last... some wit...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh - I remember my old montego, which you could drive without going above

2000 rpm most of the time. Non turbo, non injected, non diesel. But it /could/ go quickly if you wanted it to (and didn't mind the odd flame from the exhaust - pesky carburettors)

indeed it wasn't - but it was a 1.8 GDi - 50mpg from a petrol motor....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"My" coat, not "me" coat...

... and elipsis need completing - thank you.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sort of.

The real reason is because they have no high rev power thats all thats left! And they need a turbo to be that good.

Reply to
Burgerman

Yes because they are really big and cc for cc extremely low output. And heavy with huge bearings etc but would crush your car!

Reply to
Burgerman

No they have very low specific power outputs, and are hugely heavy.

Reply to
Burgerman

He cant, they dont! I have already shown a bunch of reasons for that that he cant / wont comment on. He doesent like logic.

Reply to
Burgerman

Sorry but unless they ran an equivelent bunch of petrol cars, and the sample was large enough and controlled well enough your "evidence" is meaningless and just another testimonial... But you dont seem to be able to understand this.

Reply to
Burgerman

Model airplane engines wear out inside a week. Does this tell you anything about size????

Reply to
Burgerman

Longest thread in shortest time record????

Reply to
Burgerman

Sometime in the 60's.

Reply to
Conor

THere's an entire sector of road vehicles powered by diesel where pretty much every single one does massive mileage without repair.

Reply to
Conor

And there always will be because they were bought BECAUSE they were going to do high mileages due to the minor fuel economy gains. This does not mean they wear slower than petrol just that more get used for high mileage use for fuel saving reasons. Taxis, company cars etc, this is probably where the myth that they wear out slower comes from.

Reply to
Burgerman