Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

So, in the face of all the 'theories' posted, please explain how diesels do actually manage to last, on average, longer than their petrol equivalents?

Reply to
SteveH

because they don't rev as high?

Reply to
dojj

That will be the D5 - which as far as I know is Volvo's own design, rather than an evolution of the Audi I5 lump - BICBW.

Stands to reason, though, doesn't it. Power costs with fuel.

Well there's the three I mentioned.

But the reason I mentioned them being that they make blown petrol engines of the same / similar capacity to their blown diesels, which seems a reasonable comparison where engines (petrol and diesel) are concerned - comparing like for like capacity, and like for like induction.

In general, people tend to comment about diesels producing more torque, then others reply it's 'cause of a big blower, and not representative, then others saying that's because petrols don't tend to be blown - and all I'm saying is that for at least 3 marques that's not true because they do have equivalent blown petrols in their line-ups.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

That's the assumption I'm working on, plus, as Ashtrayvanman as pointed out, diesel is also a lubricating oil, which means you don't get any of the bore wash yo do with a petrol.

Reply to
SteveH

Because as a generalism, diesels tend to be used to do big distances, and long service lives on account of fuel costs and economy.

It's more likely a diesel will be used for those scenarios, than petrols - for fiscal reasons. I'm less aware of cars expiring specifically because of mileage, these days.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Hardly relevant as you wouldn't talk a petrol engine to work any more than you would take a diesel one, you would take the entire car with or without the extra sound deadening.

Reply to
Depresion

Hmm....

Let me recall a recent one. The link between the MMR jab and Autism...

Or from the other side of the fence...

Academia who said it was impossible to build a concrete boat yet until recently (although may still be there as I've not been for a while) one was berthed on the River Hull near Tickton Bridge.

Reply to
Conor

Good choice! Now I am a model citizen! Unless the roads are empty. I can tell you that the VR6 (lovely quiet smooth motor) propels that heavy van at between 115 and 128 mph depending on wind/road (none are flat!) and with cruise control on.

Fuel efficiency? no ucking idea and couldnt care less.

Reply to
Burgerman

Err your evidence of this common fallacy comes from where exactly?

My mum KNOWS that burying som liver in the bottom of her garden got rid of her wart because for her it worked...

Old non turbo diesels that are stressed less last pretty well, but now they are trying to get more power to compete in cars with petrol they dont, especially the long service interval ones! You can put the word modern in front as much as you want.

Reply to
Burgerman

And they don't rev up as quick. OTOH, many larger (11l) diesel engines are designed to be luggers with most of the torque low down which puts more stress on the crank yet they do a million plus miles regularly.

Reply to
Conor

Revs dont cause wear unless the oil is very loaded with carbon, Metal does not touch metal or the bearing or whatever would be buggered instantly.

Carbon, and acids in oil cause wear, Ask any oil company, or manufacturer, along with initial oil film free starts.

Reply to
Burgerman

Rubbish. If that was the case, there wouldn't be a fleet of W and X reg artics sat at Home on Spalding Moor with a range of mileages from

750,000 to 950,000 all on the original untouched engines.
Reply to
Conor

First prove that diesels do last longer than petrol engines.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Completely relevant, diesels are quiter than they used to be, the padding is thicker so the driver can't hear it. Everyone else gets the noise just as bad.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You want me to go down the local minicab office and start taking pics of odometers?

Strange.

Reply to
SteveH

If any diesel fuel reaches the cylinder walls they your injetor is buggered and your engine black smoking. And the pressure (even at idle) forces soot and combustion products / acids past the pistons into the oil. Thats why it goes black so fast in a diesel. And that grinding past oil then wears the bores and crank bearing due to the thin oil film caused by the high compression and no throttle plate.

In an attempt to combat this big diesels use a centrifugal oil filter drum that has a paper filter to try and get it out of the oil. I scraped an inch of abrasive black sludge from one from a tug in immingham dock yesterday.

Reply to
Burgerman

Could be alot of truth in this. Lorries use diesel as it provides alot of power very low down the rev range as opposed to petrols that do it towards the upper range.

Reply to
Conor

Except they don't.

Not too impressed with the effort this time, Steve.

"Must try harder"

Reply to
JackH

Here's why people think they're more torquey.

Most people change gear WAY before 4000RPM so in a petrol they hardly get anywhere near the powerband. Beause diesels typically have more low end grunt than a petrol, they "feel" more torquey to Joe Average.

HOWEVER, for anyone with a clue who knows that the red line on the rev counter is actually what an engine can safely rev to, a petrol will feel more pokey because when they change gear, it's likely to still be in the powerband when they drop the clutch.

Reply to
Conor

Correct, I said this earlier but they are brainwashed and cant accept the truth. Its like trying to use fact and logic on the religous loonies (75 percent of the planet) they just wont / cant accept it! Yet they also believe in something that has absolutely no supporting evidence because they *know* they are right due to brainwashing...

Reply to
Burgerman